Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast
    Today I bought a EW 1783, an Old Charter BIB and an Old Forrester BIB.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    I need to go to Vegas. My luck's running good. Had an appointment with a customer yesterday on the East side of Atlanta, and needed to get off the Perimeter and get gas. I spot a liquor store that I've never been in, about a block away. After filling up, went to it, and much to my delight, was able to grab 2 bottles of WT12 and an EWSB 94 (one of my personal favorites). This week I've nabbed 4 WT12's, just by dumb luck. I see Delta can get me there for $378.

JOE

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DrinkyBanjo
    I was going to pick one of those up a Lenells but I went for the ceramic jug instead. Any opinions on the differences between the two expressions? I've yet to open my jug.
    They should be quite different. At that time, the jugs were for export and were Four Roses whiskey, while the bottles would be Heaven Hill whiskey.

Quote Originally Posted by TnSquire
    Today I bought a EW 1783, an Old Charter BIB and an Old Forrester BIB.
    I had been under the impression that the 100 proof Old Forester was in fact BIB even though it isn't labeled that way, but I just learned that it is not. They use whiskey from different seasons to make the profile, so it's not legally a bond.

I also learned that Old Forester, unlike some other brands that offer different proofs, has a different profile for the 100 proof (now re-branded as Old Forester Signature). In other words, while most brands just dilute the same whiskey to different levels to get the different proofs, Old Forester 86 proof and Old Forester Signature (100 proof) are different whiskeys in terms of barrel selection and profile.

I just returned from a quick trip to Louisville where I bought the following at Liquor Barn (Fern Valley).

Mellow Corn (Corn Whiskey)
    Very Old Barton BIB
    Old Grand-Dad BIB
    Old Charter 12-yr.
    Four Roses Single Barrel

I also picked up a six-pack of Ale-8-One, a local Kentucky brand of ginger ale.

The Liquor Barn stores usually have the best prices and best selection in town, so I was surprised that they do not have any of the Rittenhouse ryes, which are easy to find here in Chicago. Is is possible they aren't being distributed in Kentucky?

They do have the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, at $50 a bottle.

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012
    My boss wanted me to pick up a bottle of Stagg, which around here is only available on the north side of town, so I had an excuse to be shopping! I grabbed his Stagg, but also grabbed 4 Old Fitz BIB - DSP KY 16

Dawn

I can tell you what I didn't purcahse because it seems to have completely disappeared around here and that is Sazerac Jr. I have been wanting to drink some and not wanting to open the only 1 I have; I searched HiTime and Bevmo who both not too long ago had an abundance of it, now, none. Also the Antique Collection seems long gone also now, this seems to have happened all in the stretch of the last 6 - 8 weeks, I must wonder did someone around here just stock pile a bunker? Because I recall not two months ago seeing GTS, ER17 and even Saz18 in every Bevmo I went into!

Anyway, so I did buy another of those old IW Harpers the 86 proofer, to take to my buddy in Oregon next week for his Birthday. I think he's going to like it and want me to buy the rest of them...

Oh yeah and a bottle of Herradura Blanco Tequila crap is that good stuff! About a teaspoon of freshed squeezed lime and ~2oz. of that in my Reidel bourbon glass and yummo! (as Rachael Ray would say). I think I have not been wanting bourbon as much maybe due to the fact that I am so bummed about missing the festival... Next year I guess...
    Last edited by Virus_Of_Life; 08-26-2006 at 21:28.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur
    Wnet Turkey hunting yesterday. Got two bottles of 101, a new KS, three rare breeds and two WTRR 101. Got a nice discount because of the volume purchase. Hey, any exscuse, right?

Guru

One was not enough

Two bottles of Rock Hill Farms.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Guru
    My bourbon slush fund received a deposit so I had to buy a Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B. Looking forward to opening it next Saturday evening following a football victory.