Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 41 of 61 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What bourbon did you purchase today?

Finally broke down and purchased a bottle of George T. Stagg this afternoon. Never tried it, heck never even heard of it until I started lurking here. I figure for $49.99 it will burn my boots off (that's good by the way), or I'll be dissapointed after all of the build up and hype. It was the last bottle on the shelf so I didn't want to second guess myself later.

There was still quite a bit of the Sazerac 18, Eagle rare 17, W.L. Weller on the shelf. Seems like Stagg's the better seller.

Strange though, I have not been able to get OGD 114 anywhere around here for months. Go figure.

Chris

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by melting View Post
    I figure for $49.99 it will burn my boots off (that's good by the way), or I'll be dissapointed after all of the build up and hype. It was the last bottle on the shelf so I didn't want to second guess myself later.
    In my own opinion, none of the BTAC bottlings are a disappointment. They're all quite different from one another, but all of them are top-top-shelf pours. $49.99 is a better price than in Chicagoland, for that matter...
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur

Mitchner's American Whiskey, a few days ago.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I am in San Antonio visiting my family for the holiday. My mother wanted some Dulseda....a sweet cream style liquer. So i volunteered to run up to the local store and get her some. Of course, I had to go by the "locked up" whiskeys in their cabinet. Both Pappy 23 and Pappy 20 were there.....but did that say Lawrenceburg? Yes it did. So I walked out with a bottle of Dulceda, a Pappy 23 Lawrenceburg for $179 and two Pappy 20 Lawrenceburgs at $95. I even left one there.....so anyone traveling to San Antonio.......I might give you a map. PS This is a major chain in SA, so there may be others available here too.

Randy

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    I might give you a map. PS This is a major chain in SA, so there may be others available here too.
    Is it my imagination or did I just hear the revving of an Indianapolis Ford Explorer and a Tennessee Chevy Aveo pointing southwest?
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

It's an Indianapolis Dodge Durango! YIKES Randy! I hope the one you left on the shelf wasn't a Pappy 23!!!!

Dawn

Taster

As a Californian, there are a lot of bourbons that are pretty hard to find (at least around where I live) - but this weekend we are out in Colorado to visit the wife's parents - so I was able to pick up a few bottles that are rarely seen in my neck of the woods:

Van Winkle 12 Yr Lot B
    Pappy Van Winkle 15 Yr
    GTS 2006
    WLW 2006
    Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey (anyone in CO every try this??)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by VERITAS View Post
    Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey (anyone in CO every try this??)

As a matter of fact, a bottle made its way to KBF via yours truly and was pretty much described by the concensus as being pretty raw and needing more time in the barrel. Julian Van Winkle tried it and pretty much summed it up when it was quickly spit onto the rose bush next to the gazebo. Not a bad first effort in my estimation but not worth the money (50+) for more than a novelty.

My question, being only three or four months living here is where did you find the GTS and WLW? Have yet to run into them sitting on the shelves in the Boulder area.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Taster

I figured as much about the Stranahan's, but figured it would be worth the novelty for friends back home to try.

I found all these at Lukas Liquors in Lone Tree - They had the rest of the BT 2006 collection as well.... and quite a few bottles of each.

Connoisseur

Today I stopped by a little out of the way liquor store and low and behold ORVW 15. Yoink! That had to come home with me. I was talking to the owner and he said he had about six of them and some guy has been purchasing them slowly, one at a time.

I asked if he had anymore and he said he didn't. He did say if I liked this Basil Hayden is even better. I walked out with the ORVW.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...