Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

My new Elijah Craig 18 bottle--25 years old?

Hi folks,

I picked up a bottle of EC 18 (for $21!) yesterday, and the label notes that it was bottled in September of 81. My question: does EC not sell a lot of this product? I just don't understand the lag time. 18 years is a long time to sit on product. I would imagine that they'd want to put it out immediately. And yet, this bottle has been sitting somewhere for another six or seven years. Why?

BTW--Though I'm no expert, EC 12 is one of my favorites, and a great value. And I liked my first taste of this very much. A little more scotch-like in accent, but still with that dark, semi-sweet, smooth and flavorful character I associate with EC 12.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: My new Elijah Craig 18 bottle--25 years old?

the label notes that it was bottled in September of 81
    Are you sure that doesn't say distilled in '81? EC 18 didn't exist as a brand until about '96 or later(no mention in a couple books from before that time-IIRC from my bartending days it seems like it was 97). However, a bottle distilled then and bottled in '99 would still have sat on a shelf for a long time, where did you find it?

18 years is a long time to sit on product.
    Yes, 18 years is a long time to sit on product, and they are doing us a great favor by doing so. It is an even longer time to try to forcast sales-can you imagine the sales forcast meetings "I believe that the next generation of drinkers is going to be drinking...."

Connoisseur

I picked up a bottle of EC 18 (for $21!) yesterday, and the label notes that it was bottled in September of 81.

BTW--Though I'm no expert, EC 12 is one of my favorites, and a great value.

Are you sure it does not say "barreled" in 9-81 instead of "bottled"? I also have one and mine say barreled in 9-81. You might want to take a look again....I thought the same thing when I found mine and had to read it twice.

I agree with you on the EC12....it is one of my favorites as well - a real good value for money IMHO.

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

We started bottling the EWSB in 1995...The Elijah Craig Single barrel followed two years later.

Bettye Jo

Virtuoso

We started bottling the EWSB in 1995...The Elijah Craig Single barrel followed two years later.
    Bettye Jo
    Shed a tear for all those single barrels that never got the chance to grow up to be EC 18.

Maybe we should have a catch and release program so that we can ensure all those EWSBs can get rebarreled until they reach full Elijah Craig maturity. I'll even volunteer to organize this bourbonthropic venture.

Everybody - send your EWSBs to me for rebarreling, and I'll send back the mature stock (all that hasn't 'evaporated') in several years.

Roger - angel's share - Hodges

PS - there's likely to be a very high 'evaporation' rate.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Everybody - send your EWSBs to me for rebarreling, and I'll send back the mature stock (all that hasn't 'evaporated') in several years.
    I'm not sure that you might not use an extra "filtering process" that might just involve digestion.

Disciple

Bettye,

The EC 18 is really one of my favourite bourbons. A real blow-out and not a single day to old. I am sorry I discovered it so late. I am still on my first bottle (barrelled 9-8-81 no 1243). I consider this to be my favourite brand of the ones that I tried from your distillery in a class of its own. One thing puzzles me due. Why are you not bottling any older rye than Rittenhouse 10Y? Its a god value for the buck and a good rye in its on way. But the taste is almost like a clenched first on your shin and I am sure that this would be a super brand to with a lot more years in the barrel.
    And congratulations for your new title on the forum!

Leif

Novice

Right--barreled in 81. But that means that this bourbon was ready to go in 99. Which means that it has been sitting in this bottle for six plus years. I know that bourbon usually isn't thought to benefit as much as single malt over the course of aging--I've read on this site that some folks think even 18 years is overkill (I'm not one of them)--but the thought still crossed my mind that this "could have been" a new product--EC 23, or something.

It just made me curious, is all. And made me wonder if--assuming that EC barrels and bottles some 18 yr each year--stocks are piling up somewhere, although I'm also cognizant of the fact that all these various bourbons that distillers put out are fluid in their identity/bottling destination. I'd think that an 18 yr bourbon--especially one as tasty as EC--would be sold as soon as it went into a bottle and headed to the packy.

Boone--you're associated with EC? Congrats on some great products. Given that boutique vodka distillers make a lackluster product in a matter of days, and then sell it for thirty five bucks, I'm astounded that I can get such great bourbons that, quite literally, take a thousand times as long to produce, for half the price. Kudos and thanks to all of our great American corn juice makers.

Matt

Lief

We are in the process of producing a "New" Rye Bottling...

Rittenhouse Rare Reserve, Single Barrel, 21 years old. The projected release date is scheduled in September

Bettye Jo

P.S. I will send your post to Max

Boone--you're associated with EC?
    Yes, I am a Line Mechanic (apprentice. industrial maintenance) soon to be Journey(wo)man

Elijah Craig Singel Barrel, is my favorite bottling at Heaven Hill Every holiday and special occasion is started with a pour of EC 18

Bettye Jo