Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Enthusiast
    You've had a fairly wide and differing range of whiskey thus far. You cannot lose by trying anything from Wild Turkey or Van Winkle. WT 101 is a very good price for a good solid pour and VW 10YO 107 (if you can get it where you are) is absolutely top notch stuff.

The WT rye was recommended earlier but I would also say to give the VW 13YO rye a bash as well - it's simply superb.
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

Enthusiast
    As you can see, their are many fantastic bourbons/opinions on what to buy next. To me, that will be the fun part for you, trying different pours and finding what excites your palate. A few more are Jefferson Reserve, Rock Hill Farms (could be tough to find?!), EWSB, and Woodford Reserve to name a few. Happy Hunting, H'wood

Enthusiast
    I think you should try to find out if you like a rye-heavy taste, and I don't get much of that in anything you've tried (MM and VG are wheaters). I would second the recommendation of Old Grand Dad 114, and it is interesting to compare the effect of its proof to that of Stagg (Booker's too, if you want to pick it up), and some lower proofs. Or pick up whatever rye whiskey you can find; WT is pretty common. Sazerac is not that common, but worth finding.

And I'll also second the notion that anything Van Winkle is excellent, and WT products are also worth having.

Bob

Advanced Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by thehighking
    I'm in Baltimore, MD, btw---so if anyone can recommend great whisky shops nearby...

Best and thanks.
    I recommend 2 places:

1. Cranberry Liquors in Westminster - They have a good selection of higher-end bourbons (and they are my home-town store).
    2. Montgomery County county-run stores. I go to the one in Burtonsville at the corner of 29 and 198. The manager there knows bourbon and keeps a good stock. Montgomery County stores have the lowest prices in the area and run GREAT sales. All of the low prices I list in my other posts are from this store.

Where in B'more are you located? I live in Westminster and work in Greenbelt.

Jay
    Saturday night I was downtown
    Working for the FBI
    Sitting in a nest of bad men
    Whisky bottles piling high
    - The Hollies

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by jspero
    I recommend 2 places:

1. Cranberry Liquors in Westminster - They have a good selection of higher-end bourbons (and they are my home-town store).
    2. Montgomery County county-run stores. I go to the one in Burtonsville at the corner of 29 and 198. The manager there knows bourbon and keeps a good stock. Montgomery County stores have the lowest prices in the area and run GREAT sales. All of the low prices I list in my other posts are from this store.

Where in B'more are you located? I live in Westminster and work in Greenbelt.

Jay
    Thanks for the tips, Jay! I live in Pikesville (yes, the birthplace of Pikesville Rye), which is about 15 minutes from Baltimore proper.

I generally go to Well's Liquor in Towson or to the Wine Source in Hamden. The former has a great whisky selection, but mostly when it comes to Scotches (although they have a sizable selection of American whiskies, too.) The latter has a fantastic American, Scotch, and Irish whisky selection (e.g. carries GTS, Sazerac, etc.) Both, of course, have their shortcomings (as far as selection and prices), so I'm always on the lookout for others stores. The MoCo store you mention may get a visit from me soon as I go up that way pretty frequently. The Westminster one will too, but it may have to wait awhile.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

- H.L. Mencken