Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Sounds of Bourbon?!

I grew up with all older brothers listening to all kinds of music....everything from the Beatles, Bread, America, to Deep Purple and Black Sabbath! However, my true preference is classic and southern rock. I always enjoy listening to some good tunes when I'm relaxing, and enjoying my favorite pour. For me though when drinking bourbon, it's tough to beat some Sinatra Gold (smoking jacket not required)! My questions are.... 1) Do you enjoy listening to music with your favorite bourbon. and 2) What singer/group/band do you prefer?

Disciple
    jazz of several types (just depends on mood), Sinatra & similar vocalists, bluegrass, blues

usually, something fairly relaxing
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014
    I also grew up with music like America, Creedence, Simon and Garfunkel and Eric Clapton just to name a few. Then there was the sounds of Boney M blasting late at night at family get-togethers - usually long after us 'kids' had been put to bed...but I won't get into that, or the drunken conga line that used to snake through our bedroom whilst we tried to sleep.....

For me, when I'm relaxing with a few drinks, I tend to go back to the music of my parents, as well as listening to my own choices as well - Pink Floyd (later best of type stuff from their live albums), Dire Straights, The Eagles, Toto, U2, John Mellencamp, Supertramp and the Doors.
    I also enjoy a lot of modern and/or Australian music like Cafe del Mar, Cold Chisel, Delta Goodrem, Kylie, Midnight Oil, Paul Kelly, Noiseworks etc....

I could go on an on - I have over 40gb of personal cds I've converted to MP3 - that way I can take them in the car, listen to them on my discman or portable MP3 player and also take them to work to listen to...no matter what mood I'm in, there's always something I can pick.

Connoisseur
    Bluegrass. A lot of Scruggs and Flatt, Osborne Brothers, Ricky Scaggs and so forth... I like a lot of the "moonshiners" bluegrass. Something about the song "Mountain Dew" while I am sipping a glass of GTS just sets me at ease.

Just remembered, David Allan Coe seems to set the mood for whiskey tasting quite often as well.

Connoisseur
    Kind of depends on the mood, usually when I'm reaching for some bourbon I'm unwinding from the day, usually. I've been on a Hoagy Carmichael binge lately. It's hard to beat Hoagy.

I've got a thing for Karin Allyson too (home town girl made big time). I've got some good stories about her from my younger years, our paths crossed a few times (before her fame).

I went through a short fling of bourbon and the Italian Instable orchestra (a group of Italian conductors that play together). Grew old quick, seeing them was great, listening with out the visual entertainment became chaotic.

Summertime and bourbon with Dionne Warwick isn't bad either.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    I generally don't listen to music when I drink bourbon. I need to focus on one or the other. For casual sipping and listening, beer is good. Somehow I associate commercial Canadian beer with summer concerts, probably because that is what is served at such events!

I can't get over how good this McKenna 10 year old Single Barrel is. I had some tonight after a small pour of RR 90 and there is no comparison in my view, the RR is much milder, almost bland, in comparison. Either I have a super good barrel of the McKenna (#278) or it has improved a lot recently. This has all the qualities I like in good bourbon: depth, balance, richness, even subtlety. To me HH does not make "suave" bourbons as a rule but this one is different, really. If I did listen to music with this, I could go with any of the choices mentioned in the thread (most, anyway). When in Kentucky I like listening to bluegrass music and this would go well with that but it would also go well with Glenn Gould and Bach.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 07-14-2006 at 22:50.

Guru
    . . . David Allan Coe seems to set the mood for whiskey tasting quite often as well.
    "It was rainin' the day my mama got out of prison . . ."

Sounds more like whiskey drinkin' music, to me.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Guru
    To me the only pairings that makes sense must involve live music at a dingy bar. Recordings simply can't muster the necessary gritty quality.

That limits the choice of music to blues, country or classic rock, at least in places I've lived. Of those three I'd go with blues if it's close to authentic, country otherwise.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Disciple
    Oh yeah, Cash & Coe. Maybe Merle Haggard too
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?