Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rittenhouse Rye

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    I think Beam is still too preoccupied with integration of its Allied acquisitions to be bothered with small potatoes like Old Overholt, or rye whiskey in general, but I suspect they will get around to it. If someone like Diageo or Brown-Forman makes a move into a straight rye, they will react, otherwise they may not. They don't pay much attention to the Heaven Hills and Buffalo Traces of the world.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    I don't think though they should assume what is small potatoes. Acquisition is all very well, but it does not substitute for product development and creation of line extensions. Companies have the ability to break through the wall on stuff like this. I am not saying Overholt is the answer (although who knows) but more attention to the brand would show me they care about the brand and where it came from, heritage in a word but also that they have their eye on the future.

All brands have a natural life. What will replace, ultimately, Beam white label?

In my opinion, Overholt should have been included in the small batch series. As now constituted, it is too repetitive. And to do that, the perfect way would have been to include a barrel-proof Overholt (or Jim Beam rye).

I think they should be looking at what the other companies are doing.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-30-2006 at 17:40.

Advanced Taster
    I strongly agree with Gary. Old Overholt, in particular, is MUCH better than it was even a few years ago, and I admit to having a soft spot in my heart (aka bias) for it since it was my first rye. I would jump at a barrel proof or BIB OO. Rittenhouse BIB is not available here, or even the 80 proof, BTW, which is very annoying given the accolades heaped on the BIB. Pikesville Supreme, at 80 proof, is available with some difficulty, but nothing to write home about. Not bad, but not blog-inspiring. WT Rye is about $23 per bottle, IF it can be found, and that is way more than the $12.49/liter for OO, and definitely not worth it, IMHO. Personally, I wouldn't care if Wild Turkey distillery bit the dust, so to speak, for many reasons, but it would be great to try Rittenhouse BIB and the OO, as a barrel proof or BIB, could be amazing. My open ryes right now are Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye E 2076, Sazerac 18 2004, and OO, and next up is one of my Saz 2001s.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by voigtman
    Personally, I wouldn't care if Wild Turkey distillery bit the dust, so to speak, for many reasons
    Now thems fightin words.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur
    Why would anyone say such a thing? I love that Turkey! I'm actually taking my last final exam Friday night to finish my long overdue Bachelor's Degree. If I stay in I'm going to celebrate with WT 12, WT 15, and then the big boy himself..GTS.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Is there anywhere in Bardstown or Louisville where you can buy any form of Rittenhouse rye whiskey?

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Last time I checked the was one place in Louisville that carried the 80 proof: Old Town Wine and Spirits
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Thanks Tim, I know Old Town, good store.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-31-2006 at 08:48.

Administrator in exile
    Only place in KY I have ever seen it is at The Party Source in Newport, which is located just across the river from Cincinnati.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Jeff, thanks, is it the 80 proof too?

Gary