Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Disciple

Newly announced: Old Forester Signature

Just got an email:

If you recognize this signature...

[George Gavin Brown signature]

you'll recognize the award–winning taste of Old Forester Signature. We've given the 100–proof _expression of Old Forester a new look in honor of our founder, George Garvin Brown.

Hand–picked from select barrels, Old Forester Signature is crafted using the same time–honored methods established more than 135 years ago. Mr. Brown's signature continues to stand for rich flavor and quality as it did when he signed his first bottle in 1870.

For more information about Old Forester and the 1870 Society, visit OldForester.com.

Your friends at Old Forester
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Disciple
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Administrator in exile
    I've seen this in Lexington, but only in the 1.75's so far. Are they insinuating by "hand picked" that this is somehow better than the previous OF100? Probably marketing fluff.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Advanced Taster
    "Hand-picked" sounds like a nice way of saying "we taste it before we bottle it, and we use our hands to do that." As long as they don't change the price, I'll keep it in regular rotation.
    -Sam

Enthusiast
    You know, sounds good, but here in the midwest I can't get/find any of the special releases! Ohhh, the days of 'ole when I could get most anything....Not here!...Being the optimist-I'll keep my eyes peeled!

Connoisseur
    It's unclear to me - is this just a new package for the 100 proof version or is this really a new product?

Craig

Connoisseur
    Dan or Jeff or anyone else,
    Have you tried the signature and how does it compare to the previous release of OF 100, or is it eerily similar.
    I really like the original, which I picked up on Jeff's reccomendation. (Thanks buddy) I hope this one is up to the standard.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    I'm such a dope. I've actually talked to Chris Morris about this a couple of times and haven't thought to ask the obvious question.

Why?

My best guess is that it's an example of the Brown-Forman way of doing things that is a little different than the way other people do them. For most, if they have multiple proofs that's all there is to it, here is such-and-such a brand at 80, 86, 90, 100, whatever. Brown-Forman is all about brands, so they want to make the 100 proof Old Forester more distinctive, a brand extension if not a separate brand, but more than just a proof difference.

As a matter of fact, too, it gives them the opportunity to give "Signature" a different profile beyond the proof difference, and that is where barrel selection comes into it.

Old Forester is so under-the-rader still that they can relaunch it and if they do it right (as BF is wont to do) it can come into the market as almost a new brand.

Guru
    Keep an eye on your local Lukas Superstore, they're the only place I've seen around ST Louis that carries both the 80 and 100 proof OFs. They might get the new one.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Connoisseur
    I stopped by a local place that carries a pretty good variety of Bourbon. One of their new additions was OF 100. They had just been carrying OF 86 before. I thought about picking one up until I noticed the self sticker. The OF 86 was about $9.95, OF 100 was about $34.95. Could that be right?
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004