Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska
    I stopped by a local place that carries a pretty good variety of Bourbon. One of their new additions was OF 100. They had just been carrying OF 86 before. I thought about picking one up until I noticed the self sticker. The OF 86 was about $9.95, OF 100 was about $34.95. Could that be right?
    Sounds more like a Birthday Bourbon price to me. Or, maybe that was the 1.75 price for the 100? Not sure about your area, but even at that, $34.95 sounds high for the 1.75.

JOE

Connoisseur
    It was on a 750ml, I checked the shelf tag too, it just said Old Forester 100 750ml.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska
    I stopped by a local place that carries a pretty good variety of Bourbon. One of their new additions was OF 100. They had just been carrying OF 86 before. I thought about picking one up until I noticed the self sticker. The OF 86 was about $9.95, OF 100 was about $34.95. Could that be right?
    Well, it should not be right. In Alabama, a very high tax/high price state, a 750 ml of OF 100-proof is around $18. $35 is way out of line.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur
    LOL ...I just called back to the store to make sure I didn't make a mistake...I did. It actually was $36.99 and it is Old Forester 100 proof 750ml, Not BB, not plated in gold, not signature...

The young man on the phone informed me there was no mistake, they mark things up 20% across the board. I enlightened him, but apparently it was a bad phone connection (or age connection) because he informed me everything was computerized and that it was updated regularly.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Guru
    Ah, well I guess that explains it. Eveyone knows, the computer is always right.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Disciple
    Has anyone seen/tasted the new OF Signature yet? I've been travelling all over lately and still haven't seen it.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    It's not really "new," just new packaging and positioning, and I have heard nothing about a price increase. It's a very good, well-made bourbon, about six years old, but if you are familiar with the OF 100, it's the same stuff.

That store definitely made a mistake on the price. Although Brown-Forman is not averse to taking price increases (they recently raised the price on Woodford), no way they would take that kind of increase on OF.

One thing I had not known about OF Signature, which I found interesting, is that it has a separate profile from the 86. The 86 is not just a more diluted version of the 100. Although they start as the same distillate, when barrels are selected and mixed they are treated like two separate brands.

In terms of brand management, I think Brown-Forman is way ahead of the rest of the industry. OF Signature is another example, cleverly giving the consumer (and retailer) a way to distinguish between the 86 proof and 100 proof expressions without referring to proof.
    Last edited by cowdery; 08-28-2006 at 19:47.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    In terms of brand management, I think Brown-Forman is way ahead of the rest of the industry. OF Signature is another example, cleverly giving the consumer (and retailer) a way to distinguish between the 86 proof and 100 proof expressions without referring to proof.
    I know what this really means for Brown-Forman; in 2-3 years they will take OF Signature and lower the proof to 90, then 86, then to 80 while positioning it as higher shelf/price product.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by wadewood
    I know what this really means for Brown-Forman; in 2-3 years they will take OF Signature and lower the proof to 90, then 86, then to 80 while positioning it as higher shelf/price product.
    Ah, the old "Marketing 101" ploy.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Disciple
    Anyone seen this on shelves yet? If so, where?
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?