Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Do you refrigerate your bourbon?

After the tour at Buffalo Trace, they bring you into the tasting room & gift shop for a quick taste. First the Rain vodka (ehh), next the BT. Interesting thing is that they kept the BT in the fridge and served it closer to 50 degrees than 70. Now, it was over 90 degrees outside and a cool drink was nice -- but I thought it a strange way to 'show off' their product.

I know from my travels, that folks in Hong Kong and Japan like their SMSW chilled -- and quite a few take their bourbon and SMSW on the rocks -- but I was surprised that a distillery would encourage this. Both tour guides said this is how they drink their whiskey -- even the GTS.

I for one, prefer my bourbon neat -- maybe with a splash of water to wake up the spirit. I prefer it at room temp and find myself warming it up in the winter in my hand. I've never been a rocks kind of guy -- I think it dumbs down the flavors and makes even the most complex whiskey into a generic pour.

What say you all?

Guru

Thumbs up

Personally, I do not. But I read an interview with Jimmy Russell a few years ago and he kept his Rare Breed in the freezer.

I do tend to keep gin in the freezer, though. And vodka as well, if I ever have it. I remember a bottle of Stolichnaya pepper-flavored vodka that stayed in my freezer for a long time. What a treat it was!

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Virtuoso
    If I'm drinking whiskey straight up, I never, ever refrigerate it. However, when I mix a Manhattan, Rob Roy, or Sazerac, the ice in the shaker (I stir, rather than shake) is a vital component of the mix, even though it gets strained out when I pour it into the glass.

Aside from chilling the drink, the dilution from the melting ice helps to marry the ingredients.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Disciple
    No - tried it once with Old Forester and it wasn't nearly as good cold.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Connoisseur
    When most people are talking "refrigerated" or "cold" whiskey. Do they mean storing it in the fridge or the freezer, as you would say, vodka?

I'm also curious, and to those of you who have tried their whiskey chilled, how does it compare in flavor to that kept at room temperature?
    Last edited by TimmyBoston; 07-08-2006 at 01:24.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Enthusiast
    I would be the last guy to critisize a man of Mr. Russell's standing but cold Bourbon is not too pleasing to me. For some reason it seems to take away some of the flavour? I prefer it at room temperature and straight up.

That said I will try it in the freezer with my Bulleit 80 proof tonight just for the Hell of it - I mean it can hardly taste any worse can it?
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

Connoisseur
    I once put an ice cube in a glass of WT101 and I didn't like it 1/2 as much cold like that. I wound up taking the cube out and letting it sit until it got back to room temperature while I drank something else.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Advanced Taster
    I like an ice cube in some whiskeys, like Dickel 12 and EC12. Usually I drink whiskey neat, or with a little water, only using an ice cube if I'm in the mood for it. I do like it though. I've never put bourbon in the freezer, though I'm intrigued by the idea.
    Funny that we can disagree with Jimmy on this, and then lament that RR90 is not what he had in mind for that product.
    -Sam

Guru
    I don't disagree with him, I just never have tried it.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast
    Well I left the Bulleit in the freezer for a good 4 hrs and had a pre dinner slug with my sister. The cold whiskey was a big hit with her. She said that as she does not drink spirits that often, it made the drink alot more palatable and the temperature change really worked.

I drank and enjoyed (bearing in mind Bulleit is hardly a World beater) but I don't think it will become a regular habit.
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!