Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

What Beers Are You Drinking These Days?

Today, I went to the liquor store and come home with a few microbrews. I bought an Anchor Porter, Dogfish Head Brewery 60-minute IPA, Dogfish 120-minute IPA, and a Stone Ruination IPA. As you can probably tell I am a huge fan of IPA's. What beers are you all drinking, out there these days? I love beer and I love whiskey, but I'm curous about the beers you are enjoying. Maybe I can get some good tips.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Well after coming back from Europe and spending time in both the Nethrlands and Belgium, I've been a bit spoiled and unwilling to drink anything not made in Belgium, however this evening, after visitng a local bourbon bar, I hopped on down to Bluegrass Brewing Co. and had a cask APA, when my two lady friends arived they got the same and then we all split a flight. We got the flight to decide what we were going to take to NC with us while we go visit some friends(and see their first-born for the first time) who are originally from the area. We decided on Dark Star Porter and their Nut Brown Ale. They just wouldn't give us any of the cask in a growler to take with us
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Taster
    You have some of my favorites, Tim. I tend to drink more IPA's and Hefeweisen in summer.

IPA:
    Stone IPA
    Deschutes Inversion IPA (a huge improvement IMO over their previous IPA, Quail Springs)
    Rogue Brutal Bitter

Hefe:
    Franziskaner
    Schneider Weisse

Other highlights from the summer: 04 and 05 Alaskan Smoked Porter (my favorite) and Unibroue La Fin du Monde

Jeff

Guru
    In the refrigerator right now I have nothing that is likely to inspire you -- Bud, Full Sail Amber Ale and Liberty Ale.

I bought the Bud to go along with the Evan Williams (non-vintage) bourbon I bought recently, all a result of pondering the idea of living down to my income in regards to alcoholic beverages. The combination was more enjoyable than I expected.

The Full Sail is a brew that I really enjoyed on tap at a place in Long Beach, CA where my blues band gigged a few times. Unfortunately, the bottled version did nothing to help me relive those fun times.

The Libery Ale used to be a favorite. Now it seems too hoppy and bitter for drinking without food. My tastes have turned toward more malty brews.

When I really want to treat myself, I go to the nearby Prescott Brewing Company. At each visit I have the Liquid Amber and one other for variety. I can't say their beers are better than those of other micros, but fresh beer always seems better, whether it is or not.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Guru

I don't buy much expensive beer, although I love it.

Right now, and for the past year or so, my refrigerator is stocked with Yuengling Traditional Lager. $16 a case at Sam's Club (the Wal-Mart warehouse store, not the Chicago wine and spirits store).

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast
    Innis & Gunn. Scottish ale aged in old whisky barrels...

Lacking this, Guinnis, or Grolsh will do fine!

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer
    Right now, and for the past year or so, my refrigerator is stocked with Yuengling Traditional Lager.
    Tim
    Tim,
    The Yuengling brewery is 20 miles up the road from me. It is the oldest brewery in the USA and still family owned. The Yuenglings are very nice, down to earth people. Keep on drinkin that Yuengling.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Guru
    I change beer brands with the weather.
    I like porters in the winter, also Grolsch, made in Holland is a very good full bodied beer.
    In real hot summers, like wev'e had here lately, an ice cold Molson Golden is perfect.
    But if I had to pick one for anytime, than Czechvar from the Czech Republic, does the trick.

Guru

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe
    Tim,
    The Yuengling brewery is 20 miles up the road from me. It is the oldest brewery in the USA and still family owned. The Yuenglings are very nice, down to earth people. Keep on drinkin that Yuengling.
    Joe
    Will do, Joe. I just had one a few minutes ago and I don't see any reason to stop. It really hits the spot.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur
    I am still drinking Redhook ESB, I find it very refreshing on a hot day.
    Todd