Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur
    Sprecher Pipers Scotch Ale
    Sapient Trip Ale
    Piraat Ale

Tom

Administrator in exile
    Well, recently in California I enjoyed beer from Deschutes brewery: one of my favorites. Black Butte Porter to be exact. Unfortunately they don't distribute east of Colorado (good for you Dane!), so that's another reason for a trip again next year

Right now I'm enjoying my favorite IPA: Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Named after the Hemingway short-story, this beer pack a lot of Centennial hop flavor and aroma with just the right amount of bitterness. It's a great summer beer, but I enjoy it year-round. In fact, all of Bell's beers are very very good. Ed and I enjoyed a mini-keg of the Oberon wheat ale a few weeks ago and it was fantastic, especially with his wonderful seafood boil.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Jeff, did you sample the Black Butter on draft or in the bottle? I had some in the bottle on the recent trip and saw it on draft at a beer bar in San Francisco.

I happened also upon a cask-conditioned porter made by a company called English Ales in Marin which was particularly good. Cask porter and stout (real ale) is really quite different from filtered draft ales good as those can be.

I hope the running marathon went well for you and Leslie.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-09-2006 at 04:19.

Connoisseur
    Out here in San Francisco I drink a lot of Anchor Steam. All their beers are great...Anchor Steam, Liberty Ale, Anchor Small Beer, Anchor Bock. I also drink cheap Mexican beer in cans, like Tecate or Modelo...great for a hot day.

Administrator in exile
    I had a couple of Anchor Steam beers last weekend while enjoying North Beach Pizza. I kinda wanted to get to the brewery, but I never made it south of Market. I did try out the SF Brewing co. Nice Pale ale and Alt.

Gary,

I bought a six-pack of Black Butte porter while at a grocery store with Jim and Stephanie. Jim was grilling steaks for dinner and I needed a break from wine after a day of hard tasting. I had a couple at Jim's and I had the rest over the week. I really like Deschutes and I wish I could ship some in.

The race went very well. 57 degrees at start and the scenery was gorgeous. Running out-and-back over the GG Bridge was an experience I'll remember for a long time and, luckily there was no fog even at 6:30am to dampen the view. I was however underprepared for the hills. I'm glad we did it, but I don't think I'll do it again
    Last edited by jeff; 08-09-2006 at 05:34.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Thanks and I'll say this, Anchor Steam is still the one to beat in SF.

I had it on draft at Tommy's Joynt (Geary and Van Ness, old-style bar with a vaguely Swiss or German motif now obscured by time and Americanisation).

Anchor Steam's flavour is best expressed on draft but the bottled one is good too especially I imagine in the Bay Area. Good to hear the San Francisco Brewing Company is still going strong, it is one of the early brewpubs in the U.S.

Gary

Administrator in exile
    The SF brewing co was indeed going strong, though the building is aging and has the strange odor of decades of grease and lacquer The pulled-pork sandwich they served was even better than the beer We stopped in for lunch and a couple beers and then ran into the North Beach Jazz Festival just a little up the road in Washington Square. Sat in the lawn and listened to some good music. It was a really good day!

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    Thanks and I'll say this, Anchor Steam is still the one to beat in SF.

I had it on draft at Tommy's Joynt (Geary and Van Ness, old-style bar with a vaguely Swiss or German motif now obscured by time and Americanisation).
    Yes, Tommy's Joynt is still going strong. It's been there forever. A great place to go for a cold beer, and a heaping plate of sliced turkey and overcooked vegetables. A true San Francisco tradition!

Connoisseur
    I had some Bass Ale tonight. I had forgotten how much I like it.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Connoisseur
    As always I've been drinking some of my favorite Belgian saison ale from Fantome. Unfortunately the store by me doesn't seem to be getting it in any more though and all they really have left is the Strange Ghost variety which I like but not nearly as much as others from this line. Some pics below. The first is the Strange Ghost Iíll drink tonight next to the Grolsch that Iím going to have with the steamers Iím about to cook up, next is Fantome Babillard which is the first Fantome I tried, unfortunately they donít make it anymore. The label is the reason I tried it, the guy on it looks like me in weekend mode. Finally we have the Fantome I should be drinking now, Ete (which I assume means summer). Gonna have to talk to the beer guy next time Iím at the store.

/\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas