Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Taster

Australian Whiskey

There are a few Distilleries in Australia making Single Malt whisky. Lark Distillery and Bakery Hill Distillery are a couple that i have found with a quick search. Has any one on here tried or even seen these products.

Does any one know of any American bourbon / rye style whiskeys being distilled down under?

What different equipment would be needed for a distillery currently making single malt to make small batches of bourbon or rye?

leigh.
    Last edited by leigh_munro; 08-04-2006 at 03:22.

Connoisseur
    Not to be a jerk, I have to make this comment: my guess is what you are referring to as "Scotch" is really "single malt whisk(e)y", Scotch must be from Scotland, among a few other restrictions. If you're looking for American Style whiskeys, I'd look for grain whiskey, it'd be a step in the right direction.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Taster
    Yes i was refering to single malt, i have edited my original post.

leigh.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014
    I haven't heard of Lark Distillery, but have heard of Bakery Hill.
    I've been meaning to get a bottle of Bakery Hill for my Dad who's normally a scotch drinker - he's keen to taste it.

Advanced Taster
    Leigh the whiskies you have mentioned are quite well known whiskies within the industry...the problem is they haven't had the marketing campaigns such as the International products.

Lark distillery, Tasmania

Bakery Hill, Victoria

Cradle Mountain, Tasmania

Tasmania distillery, Tasmania

The Kimberley Rum Company, WA I put this in as everyone knows Bundaberg Rum so here is another choice.

David Baker from Bakery Hill is quite an influential personality within the Australian industry, he has campaigned for standard regulations for distilling within Oz and continues to campaign for the laws and regulations to be brought in line with Scotland...i.e. Australian whiskey needs only 2yrs maturation to be legally called whiskey...David(and I am also a supporter) is trying to bring this to 3yrs.

What different equipment would be needed for a distillery currently making single malt to make small batches of bourbon or rye?...
    No 'different' equipment is needed at all.
    Last edited by BarItemsPlus1; 08-04-2006 at 18:32.

TK.(Troy)