Recently, while on a trip to San Francisco, I was able to sample some (a 50ml bottle) Old Potrero Straight Rye Whiskey. There was a dollop of vanilla/molasses on the nose and a ton of spiciness on the palette (as one would expect of 100% rye) and, in my appraisal, a suprising level of sweetness (for a rye).

A few years back I was on a trip to D.C. and decided to visit a college buddy whose family owned a farmhouse in southern Maryland. He invited me to sample some whiskey that he estimated to be between 100-150 years old. The bottle looked like an old decanter but if there was any label it had long since worn off. It was powerful stuff and I was instantly reminded of it when I tasted the Old Potrero. So, in my opinion, Mr. Maytag has hit the nail on the head in trying to recreate American whiskeys of the 18th & 19th century.

Before leaving San Francisco I picked up a fifth of Old Potrero, this time called "Single Malt Spirit." I picked this one mainly because it states on the label "For Sale in California Only". I have yet to taste this "spirit".

While at my local liquor store tonight I noticed yet another iteration of Old Potrero called "Single Malt Whiskey".

So, the three Old Potreros I've noticed so far are:

1. Single Malt Straight Rye Whiskey - Aged in new charred oak barrels for three years (125.2 proof)
2. Single Malt Spirit - A distilled spirit produced from rye malt mash, aged two years in new and used uncharred oak barrels (124.2 proof) (actually it was aged for 2 yrs, 7 months, 15 days according to the data on the back of the bottle)
3. Single Malt Whiskey - Aged in new uncharred (toasted) oak barrels for two years. (125.2 or 126.2 proof - can't remember which) (and by the data on the back it was aged just barely over 2 years.)

So has anyone noticed any other versions?....or tasted all three and can post the difference in flavor profiles?

Cheers