Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uigeadail

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Uigeadail

At an event last night that I've written about elsewhere in another context, we tasted some Ardbeg Uigeadail. This is an unfiltered, 108.4 proof single malt named for Loch Uigeadail, the source of the distillery's water. (Ardbeg is on Islay.) This stuff is as flavorful and unsubtle as any bourbon. Very strong smoke scent, and smoke not char. When the presenter, Karen Fullerton, suggests adding water she describes what dilution does for the spirit as "like charming a snake out of its basket."

I had tasted this same spirit in the Spring at another event and it didn't make much of an impression on me. It sure did this time. All of the Ardbegs, including the Uigeadail, seem to have a cleaner finish than most single malts, which is something I like about them.

Enthusiast

Re: Uigeadail

I could not agree more. Ardbeg holds true to bourbon principles - no additives, high strength and pure, robust flavours. If EW SB is the Scotch drinkers Bourbon, then Ardbeg might be the Bourbon drinkers Scotch. Last night I actually had an Ardbeg 10 and an Uigeadail after a couple of my favourte Bourbons. They got on famously. It is no coincidence that JM mentions Ardbeg in the same breath as WT and Buffalo Trace. For me it is the ultimate Scottish distillery.

Enthusiast

Does the fact that Ardbeg is owned by a bourbon distiller have anything to do with it? Probably not, but it is an interesting bit of trivia.

Enthusiast

I can't get the Uigeadail where I am, but I can get the Ardbeg 10yr 92 proof bottling. I am not a huge scotch drinker, but I'm always open to trying new things... is this worth picking up?

Enthusiast

Ardbeg 10-year-old is one of the great malts of the world, but I haven't seen it sold at 92 proof. Is it a distillery bottling, or is it from an independent bottler? If it's an independent there is a greater chance that it is from an "off" cask, although a reputable independent is probably a safe bet. I don't think you can go wrong with an Ardbeg put out by the distillery. Even if you don't like it, having a bottle of it will impress any malt snobs who may come to dinner.

Ardbeg is still owned by Glenmorangie. Both brands are distributed by Brown-Forman in the U.S., but Brown-Forman doesn't own them...yet.

I can confirm that the 10-year-old, 92 proof is a distillery bottling. We were supposed to taste it the other night but they substituted Uigeadail instead. I can't speak directly to the 10-year-old expression. I tasted it in the Spring but don't know where my notes are. However, I'm certainly warming to the distillery itself, so would be willing to try pretty much any of its products. For bourbon drinkers who find most malts too wimpy, Ardbeg could make you a believer.

I am not a huge scotch drinker, but I'm always open to trying new things... is this worth picking up?
    I would like to add a word of caution about Ardbeg 10. I admit that I like Talisker a whole lot better than Ardbeg 10, and I guess that puts me at odds with others here. But the fact remains that Ardbeg 10, with something like 55 ppm, has the greatest peat concentration of any single malt scotch. This is extreme stuff. Unfortunately the Ardbeg 17 is no longer available because of the cut back in single malt production in the mid-1980's.

If you are not a huge scotch drinker, I would recommend working up to Ardbeg 10. If, for example, one was not a bourbon drinker, I might recommend Bruichladdich which is an Islay with not that much peat. If you're used to heavy bourbons then why not start out with Talisker? I think you're taking a risk with Ardbeg 10.

That's just my opinion. Others obviously disagree.

Enthusiast

Ardbeg is still owned by Glenmorangie. Both brands are distributed by Brown-Forman in the U.S., but Brown-Forman doesn't own them...yet.
    So sorry. I misunderstood the information on the b-f web site to mean that they owned it. They sure make it appear that way.

If industry skuttlebutt is to be believed, they will own it when all is said and done. It is for sale and they are the most logical buyers.