Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    I have seen some other sources that say Adolph Hirsch, a former Schenley executive, was involved early on, but those sources aren't as reliable as Tim, so I can't consider that confirmed.
    And yet, it is his monicker that adorns the label. If he wasnīt involved at all, then the Hue family (assuming, of course, that they christened the brand) must have held him in high reference.

Was there a Belmont brand available as late as 1993? Or is it printerīs gremlins who have paid you a visit?
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    The source I consulted says Belmont was sold after 1933. Belmont was Max Sellinger's brand, which originated at the site of the current Bernheim and not with the pre-prohibition Bernheim company.

Enthusiast
    I've had the very good fortune to try all three variations. Contrary to many, I am a fan of the Gold Foil. It has a ton of dark fruit on the nose and palate, which I really like. I find the Gold Wax slightly too old and dry, but then I'm not a fan of the older Pappy's either. I just recently opened a Blue Wax and it is showing good promise with a lot of sweetness and good age.

The Gold Foil is still available in my area if you know where to look, usually around $75.

I do have a few extra Gold and BLUE wax bottles if anyone is looking. A bottle of Joseph Finch will guarantee a spot as my favorite bourbonian while older S/W Old Fitz BIB's are also a favorite ...
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Advanced Taster
    Just getting around to pouring a gold foil sample. It's nicer than I remember from the two times I've sampled the bottle before. A couple of drops of water really open it a bit. The wood flavors seem nicely cooled compared to others. I really like it. The mint description is right on, IMO, especially in the enjoyably strong, but never rude lingering finish. I might have to pick up an extra bottle for long term keeping.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    Also, what are some of the other prices people are seeing/paying for gold foil 16 at retail. Is the $60 at Binny's a great deal, or about average?
    The stuff goes for $179 at our state liqour stores up here (the LCBO). I've had one shot of the stuff at a bar, and I thought it was sublime, but it's not worth $179 cdn to me when Bookers can be had for $80, and the last dregs of ETL go for less than $40.

Not sure which version gold foil/other that we get up here. I think it's the blue wax version.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso
    I just returned from Las Vegas (Val's hometown) and, as many here know, the Bellagio still pours Hirsch 16 Blue Wax at several of their video poker bars. They are free if you're playing the $1 games.....$12 if you're not. I put $50 into one and played dueces wild poker for an hour.....had two pours of Hirsch Blue Wax.....and left with my original $50.

Tasting wise.....I get maple and mint...followed by its signature dry finish which I like. Its not an overly woody dry finish....just a simple dry finish leaning towards being flinty (not quite metalic as some find).

BTW, these same bars will also pour you Pappy 15 or 20 "VPC" (video poker comp) as well as some fine scotches like Lagavulin 16, Talisker 10, Balvenie 15 SB and 21 yo......and even the notorious Black Whisky.

Randy

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Randy, will this tank the duty free business? That is a big business world-wide.

Gary

Virtuoso
    Well, I still have the unopened gold wax bottling - still unopened.

I ought to snag a bottle or two of the gold foil, though.

Meanwhile, I've been sampling another, completely different Hirsch bottling - the 8yo Canadian Rye. More in Non-American... but, suffice to say, it's tasty.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur
    I'm very happy to see Hirsch 16 chosen this month. It is really some great stuff. I've only had the gold foil, but I think it's really great. It's one of my favorite pours. Occassionally I have a tempermental palate and my bourbon will taste astringent, but my Hirsch 16 always satisfies. I hope anybody who hasn't had it will pick up a bottle or try a pour at a friends or bar. It really is worth it.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Connoisseur
    Well I've had this bottle for almost a year and have sampled it two times before tonight. Each time I try it I like it a bit more. Tonight it was very enjoyable, nice nose and taste. A bit of a metallic taste to it though. I don't know if that thought has been put into my head though.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...