Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Scotch

Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo
    Recently got a bottle of 1990 Imperial bottled in 2002 by Connisouers Choice for $60 cdn and I think I just bargooned!!!
    As Napolean Dynamite might say: "Luckyyyyy...."

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedmans Brorsa
    Just a theory, but I remember the first time I visited USA, I just had to buy a can of root beer...
    Root beer is very much an American phenomenon. My brother-in-law (English) and his kin felt that root beer tasted like Germolene (a British antiseptic).

Then again, as much as I like gravlax, I wouldn't consider eating lutefisk.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Virtuoso
    Although I've been fortunate enough to find Ardbeg 10yo at a sweet price (at an out-of-the-way liquor store about 65 km from home), otherwise, Aberlour 10yo is one of the best deals around. Of course, the two are about as different as white wine is from red - but I love them both.

Laproaig 10CS and Quarter Cask? Yummmmmm..... even if they don't offer quite as much bang-for-the-buck, they're still outstanding.

Bruichladdich bottlings tend to be a bit on the pricy side, but they are very well-crafted whiskies that I would never consider turning down. Most 'Laddies are lightly peated, but the 3-D and Moine Mhor are a peat freak's dream.

As for the best Scotch I've ever tasted? Well, the best Speyside was Glenrothes 1974, and the best Islay was Ardbeg 1977. The best blend would have to be Campbeltown Loch 25yo, but Compass Box Asyla is nipping right on its heels - and it's still available. Alloa 40yo single grain was incredible as well - almost buttery-soft.

Clynelish is one that I'd consider to be underrated - it has some of the "coastal" character of Islays, but it's a lot gentler than the Laphroaig/Ardbeg style.

Lagavulin? I'm still grieving over its price jump a couple of years ago. Had I listened to my own predictions, I would have bunkered a lot of it. *sigh*

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by CrispyCritter
    Lagavulin? I'm still grieving over its price jump a couple of years ago. Had I listened to my own predictions, I would have bunkered a lot of it. *sigh*
    I think a lot of is where you buy it---I still find stores here and there that have it for $40-45. (Unless you used to buy it for even less than that?)

People thought that there was a Lagavulin shortage for awhile so the prices jumped, but there was/is no shortage, so they may re-stabilize.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

- H.L. Mencken

Enthusiast
    If I could only ever get one Scotch again for the rest of time, and it was a standard bottling, it would be Lagavulin 16yo, although it's a close thing between that and Ardbeg 10yo. I love them both. Among the non-Islays I'd have to go with Longmorn. The standard 15yo is great, and I've had a couple older independent bottlings that were amazing. The Isle of Jura 21yo that is supposed to be coming out soon (and may be out by now; I haven't been to a liquor store lately) will be a strong contender too.

Connoisseur
    I'm a big fan of Lagavulin 16 and 12 but I think Ardbeg 10 is a bit on the light side to be compared with those heavy weights. The Uigeadail on the other hand.....
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Advanced Taster
    I've been enjoying Caol Ila 18 quite a bit recently. Not as sweet as the other Islays, but rich in another way. Tasty.

Other faves include Highland Park 18, Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig QC, and Talisker 10.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso
    My three faves runing the full spectrum of flavors are as follows........Balvenie 15yo SB ........Talisker 10 yo when I want some peat........and Lagavulin 16yo when I want the whole hog. All standard bottlings.

Randy

Virtuoso
    Another old favorite of mine is Aberlour A'Bunadh. It's generally around 60% ABV, and being entirely sherry-casked, has a sweet, spicy flavor. Each batch I've tried has had definite differences, but they all follow the same basic theme.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by CrispyCritter
    Another old favorite of mine is Aberlour A'Bunadh. It's generally around 60% ABV, and being entirely sherry-casked, has a sweet, spicy flavor. Each batch I've tried has had definite differences, but they all follow the same basic theme.
    If you tend to like that sort of thing you should try some Glenfarclas...very much in the Macallan, Aberlour, sherry-monster range...but different.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

- H.L. Mencken