Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Scotch

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer
    I do not have wide experience with fine scotch, but the best I ever tasted was The Balvenie 15-year old single barrel. It may have been the finest tasting spirit I have ever tasted.

Tim
    I think this is a great whisky too, but I'm shocked to hear you say this ! Including all bourbons ?

My stock answer to this is Highland Park 18yo, but truthfully it was probably a Scotch Malt Whisky Society bottling of Glenugie (24yo). No point recommmending it as the distillery is demolished and that particular dram on lives on in a few peoples' memories Glenugie is very distinctive and full of tropical fruit flavours (and plasticine ! - but nice) and if you ever get a chance to try it go for it.
    Cheers,

Sion (AKA Bamber).

Guru

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Bamber
    I think this is a great whisky too, but I'm shocked to hear you say this ! Including all bourbons ?
    I'm afraid so. It was absolutely delightful.

They have it at my state's ABC stores, but at about $80 per bottle, I have managed to pass it up, so far.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast
    Your not alone in liking the SB Balvenie:

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3878

I guess I'd have a tough time buying it too, if it cost the equivalent of 2 bottles of PVW 15yo
    Cheers,

Sion (AKA Bamber).

Connoisseur

favs

I second the Aberlour A'Bunadh, it is very good. It's one of my "affordable" favorites. My favorite to date, I have only had a few drams though, is Macallan 25 year. Near perfect to me.

I am definietly a speyside and sherry in my scotch type of guy, I do not like the Islays. I own a Lagavulin 16 (a gift) and it sits on my shelf waiting for Islay fans to finish it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    I have a friend who keeps a bottle of Lag 16 solely for the purpose of adding a few eye-drops to a glass of Speyside or sherry cask whiskey. He did (I have to say) get the idea from me. The very light but detectable smokiness added really picks up the drink, adds complexity.

Gary

Guru
    Gary,

I can vouch for the value of this approach, albeit in another context, one not on-topic in this thread.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Yes, thanks Dave, and I had seen the post you mentioned. It describes a very similar approach, but in the context of straight (American) whiskey. In effect, the relative blandness and youth of the base whiskey are ameliorated significantly by a small addition of older, more pungent whiskey.

I first got the idea from an 1885 blending manual by Joseph Fleischman which I have mentioned many times on the board. Excerpts can be studied at www.pre-pro.com. (It is easiest to find by using the site index function - look under "whiskey recipes").

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-17-2006 at 12:29.

Guru
    Gary,

As I glanced at the five or so recipes just now, a mental image of the hero of the novel Red Likker, by Irwin S. Cobb popped into my head. I believe his last name was Bird. He frequently railed against the rectifiers, who he believed were a stain on the industry.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Yes, I know, but that view is a simplification.

First, cheap whiskey was not a bad thing in that it made available to people who wanted spirituous drink, but could not afford the best, a whiskey-like drink.

Second, rectified liquor in one sense is superior to congener-laden whiskey (especially the early 1800's, not-very-aged pot still product).

Third, if you read on in Fleischman, you will see that he includes blends which step up in a strict gradation the amount of straight whiskey, indeed to 100%. Thus, there is a spectrum of flavors, or quality if you will, and one can (or could, rather) choose by reference to the depth of one's purse and one's taste.

Personally, I like Fleischman's blends which comprise 80% straight whiskey or more. Properly made, they are better than most bourbon on the market - then or now.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-17-2006 at 17:41.

Guru
    Personally, I like Fleischman's blends which comprise 80% straight whiskey or more. Properly made, they are better than most bourbon on the market - then or now.
    Gary,

I'll try it if I ever get the chance.

A fictional character's (and a very rigid one, at that) beliefs will not dissuade me.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield