Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Scotch

Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by thehighking
    I think a lot of is where you buy it---I still find stores here and there that have it for $40-45.
    People thought that there was a Lagavulin shortage for awhile so the prices jumped, but there was/is no shortage, so they may re-stabilize.
    I have never seen a pricing phenomenon in the scotch world like that of the Lagavulin 16yr. Here in Canada, I have seen it for as low as $58 to as high as $106, and it blows me away. There is one place where I live that has it at $58, then exactly a 95 second walk away is another store that has it for $98 (I've timed the walk cause I was so baffled).
    I think some places try to cash in on its reputation so the mark up must be astronomical.

Novice

Scotch v Bourbon?

Hi,

I've been drinking good quality Scotches for 20+ years (I live in Edinburgh) and have recently started to explore small batch bourbon. I have to say, my preference is leaning towards the bourbons. There is no doubt that overall, bourbon is sweeter than scotch, but this is not neccessarily a bad thing. The mellow caramel, toffee, cocoa and allspice notes that can be found in good bourbon are noticeably absent in most scotches. There are sweet notes in scotch whisky, but they are lighter, even when the addition of a small amount of water releases further ester flavours.

It's useful to note that scotch has pronounced regional flavours. Many of the whisky brands that have been mentioned in this thread come from Islay, which has by far the most pronounced flavour characteristics of any region. Smoke, peat, salt and iodine tend to dominate and this might not be welcome to an accustomed bourbon drinker, at least without a period of acclimatisation. Also, it's worth trying to find cask strength, unfiltered malts. There is a big difference in taste. For malts that are closer to bourbon in flavour, try to find some Lowland Malts such as Rosebank, Tullibardine, Glenkinchie or Auchentoshan. They tend to be lighter, sweeter and fruitier. Also, Speyside malts lack the peat and smoke that is found in Islay.

Good scotch, especially cask strength, is universally drunk at room temperature with a small amount of water, at least by serious drinkers here in Scotland. This combination of temperature and dilution really optimise the nose and taste of the whisky.

At the moment, I am finding bourbons to be more enjoyable, especially with a cigar. I enjoy Buffalo Trace as my 'everyday' bourbon and am working my way through Makers Mark, Knob Creek (9year old) and Woodford. I have to say, despite some of the negative press here, I've found the Woodford to be quite enjoyable. I've also had a complete sampling from Julian Van Winkle of his entire range, including his rye and these really are in a different class.

Regards
    Ernst

Guru
    Thanks for posting, Ernst. Welcome to SB.com! I hope you will try to drop in with us, often.

Also, I have also always enjoyed Woodford, but I haven't had it, recently. Probably not in a few years.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru
    Ernst,

Welcome!

My attention was drawn to your reference to Woodford Reserve. The reaction to it among folks here has varied dramatically during my few years here. When first introduced it was almost universally loved. Only when the addition of pot still bourbon began did numerous negative comments appear. Perhaps you are lucky enough to have tasted only the early bottles. I have one, and it is delightful, with lots of honey notes -- not just sweetness but hints of the aromas of the flowers the bees visited.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip
    I have never seen a pricing phenomenon in the scotch world like that of the Lagavulin 16yr. Here in Canada, I have seen it for as low as $58 to as high as $106, and it blows me away. There is one place where I live that has it at $58, then exactly a 95 second walk away is another store that has it for $98 (I've timed the walk cause I was so baffled).
    I think some places try to cash in on its reputation so the mark up must be astronomical.
    Yeah---although I've noticed this is true with many Scotches. Macallan suffers from this phenomenon, too as does Balvenie.

I have two stores here in Baltimore about 4 miles apart. One sells the 18 year old Macallan for 142, the other for 118. Not a huge difference, but enough for me to go to one over the other.

Lagavulin, around here, I've seen anywhere from low 40s to high 80s.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

- H.L. Mencken

Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangelos
    I second the Aberlour A'Bunadh, it is very good. It's one of my "affordable" favorites.
    Damn you all for liking the A'Bunadh.
    I've been holding back from buying a bottle cause I'm broke flatter than piss on a platter, but I here so many people saying its so good (escpecially the batch 014) that I'm going to buy a bottle right now!
    Whisky wins again....

Enthusiast
    The batch 14 is excellent. Not heard a bad word said about it.
    Cheers,

Sion (AKA Bamber).

Enthusiast
    The price of Lagavulin 16yo has gone up substantially in recent years because demand outstripped supply, at least at its previous price point. IIRC, about three years ago they ran out. It was simply not to be found, at least around here; they had to wait for more casks to reach 16 years to bottle another batch, and when that reached the market, the price had jumped about 25% or so. The supply/demand ratio seems to have stabilized at that level.

Personally I thought it was underpriced before. The 16yo was Lagavulin's "base" whiskey, and back then it was priced in the high $40s, at least around here. That was closer to the "base" whiskeys of its primary analogs: Laphroaig 10yo, Ardbeg 10yo, Bowmore 12yo. But those brands each had older versions that sold for much more: Laphroaig 15yo, Bowmore 17yo, Ardbeg 17yo (which was still available then). Those were all around $70. I always thought Lagavulin 16yo belonged in that company, rather than with the younger versions. Now it is priced accordingly. In fact, I still think it's a good deal, although I wish I had bunkered a case back then.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamber
    The batch 14 is excellent. Not heard a bad word said about it.
    I have a bottle of batch 13. Reminds me very much of Red Wine. Anyone else?
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Connoisseur
    They have released a 12 yo cask strength Lagavulin at 115.4 proof although at a higher price point. The one I found was $140 here but has since gone up so I bought it in the UK for about $100.
    Illuminati in training