Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Scotch

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by chasking
    I would use Ardbeg 10yo as a starter Islay. Laphroaig (and Bowmore) have very distinct flavors that tend to induce a love-it-or-hate-it reaction---apparently Laphroaig produced a "love it" reaction in you, but that is not a universal response. The distinct Laphroaig taste is not entirely due to the peat character. I think the Ardbeg is a more neutral (although still delicious) whiskey. If someone likes the smoky aspect of the whiskey, then I would stretch out and try the other peaty Islays.

I guess I can just easily see somebody trying Laphroaig and hating it, and writing off the other Islays even though s/he would have loved Ardbeg or Lagavulin, since they are so different.

I've always used Laphroaig as a starter Islay because the flavors are so much sweeter, well in the case of a 10 x 10 comparison. I also like Ardbeg and Lagavulin, but the Lagavulin's $100 a bottle around here, If you can find it. But I also find a lot of seaspray, saline and iodine flavors (love it or hate it) in the Ardbeg as well.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyBoston
    But I also find a lot of seaspray, saline and iodine flavors (love it or hate it) in the Ardbeg as well.
    Absolutely! Personally, I find the proposition of Ardbeg 10yo to be a better first Islay, somewhat misleading. To me, Bowmore of any guise, is much more milder and sweeter. My father (primarily a Cognac drinker) finds peat hard to stomach. He can (barely) tolerate Bowmore but he loathes Ardbeg 10yo.

In my circles Bowmore goes under the somewhat derogatory alias of "Perfume Islay". I like it, though.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Advanced Taster
    There's a theory that Bowmore produced this perfumed malt for a short period, and we're sampling it now. It's supposed to be going back to a more non-perfumed style, whether this is true or not.

I prefer Bowmore and Lagavulin to Ardbeg. I think Ardbeg is talked up, although it is very good. All tastes differ, of course.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by brockagh
    I prefer Bowmore and Lagavulin to Ardbeg. I think Ardbeg is talked up, although it is very good. All tastes differ, of course.
    I disagree with the preference of Bowmore, I personally don't think any of it that I've tried is outstanding. But it's by no means bad, just not to my taste, now also I've never tried the older vintages, so I can't compare them. But I do agree that Ardbeg is somewhat talked up. The ten for example is a fine dram, but nothing spectacular in my mind. I generally prefer Laphroaig 10, but I also have a soft spot for it. Now in terms of Ardbeg, the Uigaedail is wonderful, one of the finest spirits I've ever had in my life. But it isn't terribly common, while only one of the high end liquor stores in in my area carry it I only know of one bar that stocks it and its in Denver Colorado, "Pints" is its name, and supposedly has the largest selection of Scotch outside the UK.

Now Lagavulin is great, but IMO opinion that White Horse (distillery) that is no longer produced is outstanding, while the Port Ellen which is now more commonly available is good but not in the same league as the White Horse. I have a bottle of each, open, and there is a huge disparity.
    Last edited by TimmyBoston; 08-27-2006 at 03:03.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Advanced Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyBoston
    I disagree with the preference of Bowmore, I personally don't think any of it that I've tried is outstanding. But it's by no means bad, just not to my taste, now also I've never tried the older vintages, so I can't compare them. But I do agree that Ardbeg is somewhat talked up. The ten for example is a fine dram, but nothing spectacular in my mind. I generally prefer Laphroaig 10, but I also have a soft spot for it. Now in terms of Ardbeg, the Uigaedail is wonderful, one of the finest spirits I've ever had in my life. But it isn't terribly common, while only one of the high end liquor stores in in my area carry it I only know of one bar that stocks it and its in Denver Colorado, "Pints" is its name, and supposedly has the largest selection of Scotch outside the UK.

Now Lagavulin is great, but IMO opinion that White Horse (distillery) that is no longer produced is outstanding, while the Port Ellen which is now more commonly available is good but not in the same league as the White Horse. I have a bottle of each, open, and there is a huge disparity.

I was lucky enough to try two Bowmores from 1964. One was from a first fill sherry cask and the other was from a second fill sherry cask. They were the best two whiskys I've tasted.

Of course, this is jut my opionion, but the Bowmore 17 is wonderful, although the Bowmore 12 is very disappointing.

I also love the Ugiedail, but I wish it was just a bit less salty.

Connoisseur
    There were 3 "versions" of the 1964 Black Bowmore, a 29, 30 and 31 yo that were released over a period of 3 years. Prepare to spend at least $6000 for the set if someone sells their's. Back in '94 I bought the 29 yo for just around $100 if I remember correctly. Now it's about a $1500 if you can find one. It was good though!

Later there was a small release (95 bottles) of another 1964 Bowmore bottled at 35 years old and sometimes called "Black Bowmore 2" I've never even seen this bottling.

Quote Originally Posted by brockagh
    I was lucky enough to try two Bowmores from 1964. One was from a first fill sherry cask and the other was from a second fill sherry cask. They were the best two whiskys I've tasted.
    Illuminati in training

Enthusiast
    Binnys has all three of the "Black Bowmore 2's" They go for $1999 a bottle.
    Joe

Advanced Taster
    yeah, Black Bowmore is one I'd love to try. I think Bowmore was producing great stuff during the '60s. I also tasted a very young Bowmore from the cask that was in great shape. I think it could be a return to greatness.

Bowmore is particulary good when matured in sherry casks, I believe.

Connoisseur
    Binnys is missing the Olosoro Cask one which is the most limited of the 3 newer releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeluka
    Binnys has all three of the "Black Bowmore 2's" They go for $1999 a bottle.
    Illuminati in training

Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedmans Brorsa
    To me, Bowmore of any guise, is much more milder and sweeter. In my circles Bowmore goes under the somewhat derogatory alias of "Perfume Islay". I like it, though.
    I will personally agree with this. Sometimes too much peat gets to me, Bowmore; being kinda halfway there, is a great introduction to peat.