Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Scotch

Connoisseur

Favorite Scotch

What are you favorite Scotches?

I'd say mine are: (in no particular order)

Ardbeg Uigeadail
    Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength
    Talisker 10
    Lagavulin 16 - the White Horse Distillery
    Highland Park 25, but unfortunately I can't afford it very often
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Apprentice
    Vallejo, California. Just northeast of San Francisco.
    Favorite is a hard question. I really like the Ardbeg 10 and Lagavulin 16, but though I have bottles open I drink sparingly from them.

Laphroaig 10 is what I reach for most of the time. It costs significntly less then the others (which shouldn't matter, but does) and is easy to find.

If I had an unlimited budget it would probably be a different story, but as it stands it's my favorite scotch.

Disciple
    SPRINGBANK 15YEAR! It's out of sight. The perfect balance of flavors ever put into a bottle of scotch.

Enthusiast
    Although I don't belong in this thread, their is a "funny" story I must tell concerning favorite scotches. As some know, Scotch has to be my least favorite beverage of all-time! I mean I despise this stuff! (lol) My brother (a scotch drinker) knowing this went overseas, and brought back the "best scotch in the world"....as he proclaimed....and begged me to try. He persisted...This is the best scotch in the world, you HAVE to try it! I held my ground...Richard, I DON'T LIKE SCOTCH! This went back and forth for some time until...to shut him up....I tried some of this MAGICAL scotch (sorry guys, for the life of me I don't remember what it was!) So after trying the scotch I told him..."If this is the best the world has to offer, then that solidifies my opinion from drinking this stuff ever again." Enjoy your scotch guys. H'wood

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    But there are so many different kinds of scotch, some rather similar to bourbon whiskey.

If you are considering persisting, I would try Balvenie Double Wood but there are many other approachable malts, e.g., Aberlour, Macallan 12 years old (not the Fine Oak series, the regular Macallan), Glenlivet French Oak 15 years old, Glenmorangie, and, well, it goes on.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-10-2006 at 21:13.

Taster
    Gary has a great list of my favorites going. I would add Springbank 10 and Cragganmore 12.

I used to drink more Lagavulin and Laphroaig, but, no lie, after antibiotics, corticosteroid shots and Flonase, my sense of smell improved and my taste for Islays evaporated.

Jeff

Connoisseur
    H'wood,
    I felt the same way as you. A buddy of mine at work says that to make Scotch, you take Bourbon and pour it through a transients sock...what comes out is Scotch.
    Then a buddy gave me a gift of Glenlivet 12 year-old, which I thought was pretty good. Then I tried some Glenmorangie and thought it was even more to my liking.
    I won't start collecting Scotch...but at least with those two so far...I shall stay open minded and keep them on my shelf for an occasional taste.
    Todd

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    I can understand the dislike of scotch because I at one time shared this. I think I know where the dislike originates, it is for the peaty, smoky, sometimes creosote-like smell and taste of a lot of (but not all) scotch whisky. Most of the quality and other blends have some of that taste. However many of the single malts do not, especially those which employ no or very little peated barley malt (malt dried over fires to which peat is added as a fuel). Most of the malts mentioned in the last few posts are peat-free or almost (not sure about Cragganmore, but it is a fine whisky). Only when I started reading about scotch and learning how it was made did I start to realise what it was supposed (a lot of it) to taste like, and finally I acquired a taste. But hey not everyone does ultimately or should, to be sure. Each is entitled to his likes and dislikes. I have a taste for most forms of alcoholic drink but still find tecquila a challenge. I know exactly what it tastes like and why but still have not developed a taste for it.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-11-2006 at 06:39.

Advanced Taster
    Lagavulin 16, probably. I also tasted two 1960s Bowmores - a first fill and a second fill sherry cask - that were probably the best whisky I've ever had. Not a standard bottling, though.

Connoisseur
    The best I can do is narrow it to favorites of different types

Speyside - Aberlour a'bunadh or a variety of the Macallan bottlings (but I have not opened a 35 year old Glendarroch (Glenfarclas) that I have on the shelf but I expect it might top the list)
    Rest of the Highlands - Tullibardine or Oban
    Islay - Lagavulin
    Misc - Cadenhead Moidart 25 year old (supposedly the leftovers from various bottlings)
    Compass Box Hedonism (an excellent vatted grain scotch - a different type of scotch)

Tom