Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Scotch

Advanced Taster
    Is this the 12 yr old? There's two versions of that. I don't know which one I've tried.

Connoisseur
    I'm thinking you want to attach a pic but didn't. The 12 yo cask strength looks just like the regular 16 except it says 12 and "Special Release" on the box.
    Illuminati in training

Taster
    Has anyone tried the Batch 16? Thats availble to me now and I don't want to spring for a bottle unless I'm a little more informed....

thanks

Taster
    I'm halfway through a Batch 16, BB, but it's my first bottle of a'bunadh so I can't compare.

It is outstanding whisky loaded with sherry, oak, raisin and orange flavors with just a bit of smoke on the finish. IMO, it's a bourbon lover's SMSW and I think many will find it too sweet. Islay lovers who don't like the sherry flavors in Macallan will mostly think this is disgusting.

It is extremely easy to drink at cask strength. I paid $62, and, while I'd prefer to never pay more for any whiskey than I pay for Stagg, I will buy another and another when this is gone.

Jeff

OK, I am not a scotch drinker but seeing this thread over and over again kept reminding me a scotch I had a couple weeks ago. It definitely would not be my favorite; so I may not be able to say what my favorite scotch is, I can say it most certainly is NOT Oban, 14 year I believe it was. My friend who convinced me to try it, really liked it and said it was a good scotch. I think it is safe to say he liked my Pappy 20 more than I liked his Oban! So I'll keep trying his scotch as long as he keeps trying my bourbon because I could already see a convert in the making...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Guru
    Christian,

I've never drunk Oban; I don't know whether it's a good gateway scotch for a bourbon drinker or not.

Next time the two of you get together, ask your friend for a sip of Famous Grouse (a blend) or Highland Park 12 y/o. If neither of them appeal to you, then I would hazard a guess that won't become a fan of scotch. Of course, that's only a guess.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad
    Christian,

I've never drunk Oban; I don't know whether it's a good gateway scotch for a bourbon drinker or not.

Next time the two of you get together, ask your friend for a sip of Famous Grouse (a blend) or Highland Park 12 y/o. If neither of them appeal to you, then I would hazard a guess that won't become a fan of scotch. Of course, that's only a guess.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Honestly Dave, years ago I used to drink Glenfiddich 15 year and quite liked it. But this same friend mentioned that was hardly a scotch as it had literally no peaty smokiness that many scotch lovers enjoy. I will say this though, the Oban had a better almost sweet flavor neat but once I dropped a few icecubes in it became bad... I'd take a good tequila over a scotch any day.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Virtuoso
    I've found that I don't really like bourbon or Scotch on the rocks. Even though I use ice from reverse-osmosis filtered water, I don't like how an on-the-rocks drink gets steadily diluted - and sometimes the whiskey takes on a sickly flavor. That happened to me with Knob Creek a while back...

Of course, when I mix cocktails, the ice is very important - but it gets strained out when I pour the mixture into the glass.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life
    OK, I am not a scotch drinker but seeing this thread over and over again kept reminding me a scotch I had a couple weeks ago. It definitely would not be my favorite; so I may not be able to say what my favorite scotch is, I can say it most certainly is NOT Oban, 14 year I believe it was. My friend who convinced me to try it, really liked it and said it was a good scotch. I think it is safe to say he liked my Pappy 20 more than I liked his Oban! So I'll keep trying his scotch as long as he keeps trying my bourbon because I could already see a convert in the making...
    I have had Oban 14 a few times and I didn't care for it. Especially considering it runs around $60 a bottle in my area. I am a big fan of Scotch but I just didn't like it. IMO I don't know if they're a really good starter for a bourbon fan, because IMO Scotch and Bourbon are such totally different spirits. My starter was Glenlivet 12, but another good starter might be Highland Park 12, but it's a great all-rounder, it has a lot of very common flavors that can exist in all regions of Scotch. It's also one of my favorites, I always keep a bottle on hand. If you like smokey things, the Islay starter IMO is Laphroaig 10, I love it, too. Also I liked bourbon more immediately than I liked Scotch. I bought a bottle of Glenlivet and had to drink it a few times before I really liked it that much then I started getting the cravings.....
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyBoston
    If you like smokey things, the Islay starter IMO is Laphroaig 10, I love it, too.
    I would use Ardbeg 10yo as a starter Islay. Laphroaig (and Bowmore) have very distinct flavors that tend to induce a love-it-or-hate-it reaction---apparently Laphroaig produced a "love it" reaction in you, but that is not a universal response. The distinct Laphroaig taste is not entirely due to the peat character. I think the Ardbeg is a more neutral (although still delicious) whiskey. If someone likes the smoky aspect of the whiskey, then I would stretch out and try the other peaty Islays.

I guess I can just easily see somebody trying Laphroaig and hating it, and writing off the other Islays even though s/he would have loved Ardbeg or Lagavulin, since they are so different.