Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Apprentice

What next for an Eagle Rare 10Y fan?

I am brand spankin' new to bourbon drinking. Took my first pour about 3 weeks ago and fell in love. Told the hubby, who is a veteran bourbon man (with limited brands under his belt), that I am giving up the red wine, which triggers migraines, and becoming a bourbon gal!

So far, I haven't cared much for Basil Hayden's, and I'm luke warm on Nob Creek, but I love ER 10y. Sipping some right now, as a matter of fact.

What might a girl with my tastes want to try next?
    Enjoying the forum very much. Thanks!
    pabourbongal

Guru
    Welcome to the world of bourbon!

(Assuming they are available in your area) I'd suggest Elmer T Lee Single Barrel (a fantastic bargain and a great pour), one of the Wellers; either 12 yo or Centennial, or, if you like spicy rye-flavored bourbons, Old Grand Dad 114.

Try as many as you can, either by the drink by going to a local bar (try a high-end steakhouse --- they typically will have a broad selection) or by trying miniatures (you will be somewhat limited here) available from a good liquor store.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you taste!
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur
    Man, where to start... There are so many fine choices out there. I always try to start anyone with Makers Mark or Elijah Craig 12. If your palate leads you toward sweeter things, I would recommend Elmer T. Lee. Those three brands which I mentioned are some of my everyday pours. I consider anything Van Winkle to be a premium pour, and tend to reserve the consumption of them to a more limited basis.

Just go out, maybe to a nice bar with a good bourbon selection, and try differnt things. My general rule of thumb is, if I am not sure if I will like it, I just buy it. Haven't found one I didn't like yet...

Guru
    I'd go along with the Elmer T. Lee and you can get it at the PALCB. Give it a try and tell us how you like it.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Advanced Taster
    Some good suggestions already. Try as many as you can. I'm a ER fan myself. Blanton's comes to mind as something to try. It's just a solid offering.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    I'm assuming here that you mean the ER 10yo Single Barrel 90 proof, though there may still be some of the 10yo 101 proof still in your area. I too am a fan (of both bottlings) and think you might enjoy Wild Turkey Russels Reserve. There was a 101 proof version of this, that was a huge favorite of many here, but the newer 90 proof, is excellent as well. This is also a 10yo whiskey. Another I like is Old Charter Proprietors Reserve, a 13yo 90 proof bottling.

Best of luck, the best part about trying new whiskies is the fact that you can open a bottle and not have to drink it all right away, unlike wine, while you try some others. Enjoy
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

A good way to approach first tastings often is to assay something from each distillery. I'd suggest shooting for a mid-pricer from each:

• Jim Beam Black (8yo/90 proof)
    • Maker's Mark (no alternative here)
    • Very Old Barton 86, 90 or BIB, if available, or Ridgemont Reserve
    • Evan Williams Black label (7yo/86 proof)
    • Buffalo Trace, if available, and/or Old Charter 10yo (rye); Weller 12yo (wheat)
    • Old Forester 86 or BIB
    • Wild Turkey 101

I'm betting you can find one 'standby' bottling from these, then you can try some higher-priced ones as desired.
    Tim

Connoisseur
    I'm always amused when someone suggests go to a bar and try different bourbons. If I try to try bourbon around here in a bar I'm gonna end up with Jack Daniels

I realize this varies with you own particular geographical area.

I guess the other thing is, if you think your gonna like bourbon, you might as well spend the $4 to $8 (the cost of a drink) toward a bottle.

Now if I were on vacation, this would be a different story.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Connoisseur
    Try everything you can and see what you like best. Worked for me!

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska
    I guess the other thing is, if you think your gonna like bourbon, you might as well spend the $4 to $8 (the cost of a drink) toward a bottle.

I am with Mark on this one. When I figure how much the shot cost them and how much they charge me for it, I don't feel like I am saving any money. The price of a pour can be as much or more than 25% of the price of a bottle. Now, if you are out and you see something you would like to try on the shelf behind the bar, by all means, order it!

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!