Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

Best books/sites to learn about bourbon?

I'm interested in educating myself on all aspects of bourbon -- from history to production to tasting to sales and marketing. Can you recommend a top-notch web site or book or magazine to help me in my studies?
    Thanks in advance.
    pabourbongal

Disciple
    Reading the threads on this forum is a pretty good start. As for books, I would start with Chuck Cowdery's Bourbon, Straight: http://home.netcom.com/~cowdery/bourst.html
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by pabourbongal
    I'm interested in educating myself on all aspects of bourbon -- from history to production to tasting to sales and marketing. Can you recommend a top-notch web site or book or magazine to help me in my studies?
    Thanks in advance.
    I think this is the best site for learning about Bourbon. I've only been on it a year and have already learned more than I could ever hope to about this lovely spirit.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Connoisseur
    I agree I've done a fair amount of searching the net for other whiskey information sites and this one is by far the best, with the vast amount of info being directly related to bourbon. Try really looking through all the different forums listed here and then you can use the search function at the top of the screen, then you can narrow down to something you're looking for. There are also posters here who are noted bourbon authors themselves. Just take some time to really look through this forum, there's a lot here but at first glance there doesn't appear to be nearly as much as there is. Be patient and keep looking. My guess is, it's here. If you're set on looking for a book, I'd take Dan's advice, Chuck Cowdery's book.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by pabourbongal
    Thanks in advance.
    I haven’t read Cowdery´s book but Reagan’s, Waymack/ Harris and Murray’s yellow. All were good with the yellow on top. I’ve also had prescription on whisky magazine a couple of years, but I plan to cancel that one due to the lack of bourbon information. However to me this forum beats all this mentioned sources.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Connoisseur
    I have not read Regan´s book but I can heartily recommend Chuck´s book "Bourbon, straight". Jim Murray´s "Classic Bourbon, Tennessee & Rye" is also a worthwhile investment, even though the tasting notes are becoming increasingly out of date.

Apart from that, as mentioned by many already, the 'Search' function on this site can work wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei
    I’ve also had prescription on whisky magazine a couple of years, but I plan to cancel that one due to the lack of bourbon information.
    Leif
    A very wise move of you, Leif. Whisky Magazine is the magazine world´s nearest equivalent to a sleeping pill. To me it is not so much the lack of Bourbon but rather the tiresome all-whisky-fans-must-be-boring-old-farts-who-play-golf-and-read-Wall-Street-Journal-attitude that dampens my enthusiasm severely. They need a new editor, badly.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso
    And don't forget to use the links to the distillery websites. Sure, there is a lot of marketing information/disinformation....but some interesting pictures, videos, etc there too.

Randy

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank
    And don't forget to use the links to the distillery websites. Sure, there is a lot of marketing information/disinformation....but some interesting pictures, videos, etc there too.

Randy
    Like this one

http://www.heaven-hill.com/virtualTour/virtualTour.html

Bettye Jo
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    Like this one
    Sheesh, product placement is everywhere nowadays.....

Connoisseur
    Begging Jim for apologies, I have to admit that SB.com was actually (gasp!) not the first site that I bumped into when I became eager to explore Bourbon at the end of the 90´s.

Rather, I chanced upon an obscure site called Dennis Whiskey Corner, which somewhat amazingly, still seems to be around.

http://www.mindspring.com/~mccarthys/whiskey/

Seems to be quite a knowledgable chap. I wonder if he´s ever been seen on this board?
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!