Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    The Advertiser story and Sandwich Islands Distilling are the news article and joint venture I was referring to. The report, I see now, goes back to 2003, did this business get off the ground? I don't know. I couldn't find a website for the company but that doesn't mean it isn't in operation.

I would think though the bourbon in question was made either by the old Hawaiin Distillers, or by that company after its purchase by Le Veque, or by Sandwich Island Distillers. Straight bourbon can be only 2 years old if the label states such, maybe it was made between 2003 and now.

The decanters you found Tim for the okolehao (the name by the way is clearly a variant pronunciation of the word "alcohol") are for the okolehao that was produced by Hawaiin Distillers. Since it used the name Kamehameha as a trade name and that is the name of the bourbon, this leads me to think that Hawaiin Distillers or one of its successors also made bourbon under that name.

I should say though the King Kamehameha bourbon label refers to bourbon "produced" at the finest distillery in Hawaii. It doesn't say distilled. While produced suggests distilled, I wonder if the spirit might have been made in Kentucky and possibly just bottled in Hawaii, or maybe it was aged for a time in wood in Hawaii.

If distilled in Hawaii at some point since the 1970's, this is the first bourbon made by a new company since the 1950's.

I wonder if Koji has any information.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-19-2006 at 14:42.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Everyone is thinking too hard. The key words are "Someone has seen a bottle of this whiskey in Japan." That means it could be anything made anywhere. I'm not really familiar with Japan's "standards of identity" regulations for, in this case, bourbon, but my sense is that a lot of the labeling of spirits products in Japan is dubious. If someone knows the Japanese regulatory regime for such things, I would love to be educated.

In India, for example, most of the products labeled "whiskey" are not even made from grain, they are made from sugar cane. They are called "whiskey" because they are flavored and colored to resemble whiskey and either there are no laws regarding this practice, or there are but enforcement is lax. That doesn't prove anything about Japan, I know, but my impression is that matters in Japan are similar.

The United States has "distinctive product" agreements with Canada, Mexico and the EU, but I am not aware of any such agreements with Japan.

Why would someone create a bourbon for Japan with a Hawaiian theme? I don't know, but I do know that ethnic Japanese outnumber both native Hawaiians and European-Americans in Hawaii, so it might be related to that.
    Last edited by cowdery; 08-19-2006 at 23:10.

Old style sour mash

Additionally, I can read "Old Style, Sour Mash" on the top of the bottle.

I can't really believe that this could be a "Japanese creation" of a Bouron Whiskey.

Peter

Apparently the 'finest distillery in Hawaii' is in Bardstown. I just heard from someone at Heaven Hill that it's one of theirs.

The key I guess was the use of "produced at" not "distilled at" on the label...

Gary

I still think it's kind of odd, but my source didn't offer any details.

Novice

Re: Bourbon Whiskey King Kamehameha

Hi. New to this debate, but I actually have a bottle of the King Kamehameha. It says that it's 43% (86 proof) Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, distilled and bottled by Anderson Club Distilling Co, in Bardstown, Kentucky. It also says it is 6 years old. And that it is the "same famous formula since 1788".
    I stumbled on this topic as I was curious about the company. What other brands do they make? It's not an outstanding whiskey, but not bad either. Can anyone quench my curiosity?

Thanks for this and that settles that this bottling at least was distilled in Kentucky. I would think Heaven Hill may be the source.

Gary

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Apparently the 'finest distillery in Hawaii' is in Bardstown. I just heard from someone at Heaven Hill that it's one of theirs.

I couldn't find Bardstown on my map of Hawaii......

Anderson Club Distilling Co. is one of the literally hundreds of "doing business as" (dba) names Heaven Hill uses. Other distilleries do the same thing. Typically when they buy a brand, they will obtain and continue to use the business name of the former producer.

You can look up this sort of thing on the web site of the Kentucky Secretary of State. There isn't a lot of information, but you can learn a few things. For example, I just learned that HH has used that particular dba since 1978.

You can also see Trey Grayson's smiling face.
    Last edited by cowdery; 12-19-2006 at 21:11.