Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Orange and Bourbon

As part of my homebrewing hobby, I started making limoncello last summer. A terrific warm weather addition to cocktails, but also great on its own as a digestivo.
    The limoncello went so well, I decided to give a few other citrus fruits a go. First up, tangelos. While not an orange, they have a certain sweetness that's closer to that of an orange, but with a nice acidity that ties them to tangerines (of course) and also to lemons. Of course, there is sugar in limoncello (and tangelocello...has to be a better word), but I find both of these to be a terrific complement to bourbons, especially those w/high rye content. The current OGD BIB is a product that in particular seems to meld with both of these beverages (I prefer the ND OGD neat).
    I have orangecello and blood orangecello in the pipeline. I'll report back on the results.

Guru

Question Re: Orange and Bourbon

Tboner, please tell us a little more, in general, what these ~~cello beverages are. I have heard of lemoncello, but I have no idea what it is.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

Limoncello is a lemon liqueur, a traditional beverage in Italy.
    The lemons along the Amalfi coast are bountiful, and it's not exactly a hand fruit. So, people make lemonade. And limoncello.
    Essentially, the process is to remove the peels of about a dozen large lemons (only the yellow part - the white pith is bitter) and add them to a bottle of grain alcohol and a bottle of vodka. Allow to steep until maximum flavor and color extraction occurs. Then dilute to about 90-proof with simple syrup (sugar and water).
    In recent years, limoncello has become more popular stateside, and it's trendy to bottle things such as orangecello, razzcello, etc. Realistically, though, citrus is the best way to go in terms of homemade (minimal filtering, fast and easy process).

I followed the procedure as described by Deborah Horn outlined here.

I used a mixture of organic lemons and Meyer lemons (slightly sweeter than most American lemons) to get close to the character of Italian lemons. I bottled mine in icewine bottles with tasters' corks and gave it as Christmas gifts...keeping several bottles for me, of course.

If you can find a good limoncello or orangecello, I highly recommend it.

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Orange and Bourbon

Thanks. I suppose that is exactly what I thought it would be, but I really didn't know.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Apprentice

I like a dash or two of Regan's Orange Bitters in a measure of bourbon for a change of pace. I find the orange flavor compiments the flavours of the bourbon.

Connoisseur

Oranges, Bourbon, etc...

this thread seemed a good place to continue the discussion of melding bourbon with other flavors, either as cocktail or ... homemade liqueur.

before i saw this (hence, why i did a search!), i was thinking about doing something with that HH 4y i got and complained about last night

anyways, was thinking of plopping something sugary in it like (as mentioned before) peppermint sticks or maybe a Brach's butterscotch...or Red Hots?

how long would it take for the candy to dissolve?

and then, as i was making some trail mix, i realized i had a small stash of dried orange peel...hmmm. what would THAT impart to a bourbon? maybe in conjunction with the peppermint...?

i'm less interested in the instant (cocktail) mix, but rather the homemade liqueur. any other ideas for "flavoring" whiskey in a respectable, interesting way?
    andy

p.s.

i still have some limoncello from italy my in-laws brought back...how would it meld?
    HUP!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Flavoring whisky is as old as the hills and was very common in early days when whisky was often young and less palatable than today.

That HH 4 would make a great rock 'n bourbon (like rock 'n rye except with bourbon).

I know some here have devised their own rock and rye, I once had some Lenell made which was sensational.

Orange peel is just a start, I'd add other citrus (fresh slices), maybe pineapple, a cherry or two, sugar or honey or gomme to taste. Also, I would add another whiskey - or brandy - to the mix (any kind).

Let it steep and you will have a fine liqueur-like drink which can be the basis for cocktails, or drunk on its own in the winter, or
    with soda and ice added...

Gary

Guru

I spent one evening a while back chatting in the Gazebo with a mixture of bourbon and DeKuyper's Apple Pucker, about three to one mix. I was wanting something different and that was perfect for the night in question. Went down way too easy though and I almost forgot where the bathroom was in my own house....
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

One time while visiting Jack Daniel's, I talked to one of the workers there who had taken a bottle of Jack Black, broken up three or four candy canes in it, and was carrying it around in his overalls all day to keep it agitated. By the end of the day, the candy was dissolved.

If you want to try this at home and don't want to carry the bottle around, just leave it someplace where you will pass by it often, and each time you do, give it a shake. The candy should dissolve in a day or so.

Enthusiast

Just bought several bottles of Regan's Orange Bitters, one for me and the others as presents. Very nice indeed! Now...if the fine folks at Buffalo Trace who're marketing the bitters online will just sell me some Buffalo Trace bourbon. We feel neglected hereabouts.
    Here's to us, who's like us?
    Damned few and they're all dead