Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Chicago O'Hare Duty Free

Has anyone flown internationally out of O'Hare recently? I would like to know what bourbons they carry in the duty free store. I am flying to Ireland and I am going to the Cooley distillery for a private tour. I promised the person who is giving me the tour a bottle of bourbon. With the new rules I can't bring it with me so I have to rely on duty free or chance it in my checked luggage.

Scott
    Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whisky is barely enough. - Mark Twain

Connoisseur
    I am sure that they have the WT 12 year export there. Great pour at an exceptional price, a very definitive bourbon in my eyes.

Administrator in exile
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Gentleman
    Has anyone flown internationally out of O'Hare recently? I would like to know what bourbons they carry in the duty free store. I am flying to Ireland and I am going to the Cooley distillery for a private tour. I promised the person who is giving me the tour a bottle of bourbon. With the new rules I can't bring it with me so I have to rely on duty free or chance it in my checked luggage.

Scott
    My understanding is you can't purchase any duty-free bourbon at all right now.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    My understanding is you can't purchase any duty-free bourbon at all right now.
    I made a few calls and they have eased up on the duty free stores. As long as they deliver it to you after you board the plane you can have it.
    Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whisky is barely enough. - Mark Twain

Connoisseur
    I flew out of Ohare last October and picked up some WT sherry signature. I don't think they had the 12 year.
    Craig

Did you like the WT sherry signature? I have never tried it or known someone who has.

Scott

Disciple
    i have a bottle of WT sherry signature I bought in Windsor, Ontario. it is ok but is much better mixed than straight. It mixes pretty well with 7 UP.

Thomas

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Scott, I don't know if this helps, but when I flew out of LAX last week they had a sign at the Duty Free Shop that stated..."Business as Usual". It went on to explain that you could buy anything, and could retrieve it at sometime....Don't know details, but it seems maybe things have loosened up? I'm guessing if LAX has gone this far, then most major airports, including ORD have also?

JOE

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Gentleman
    Did you like the WT sherry signature? I have never tried it or known someone who has.

Scott
    I thought it was very nice. The sherry is mostly in the nose, not so much on the tongue. Of course the setting helped too, I drank it with some good friends in northern Sweden over the course of a couple snowy evenings. I would definitely buy it again.

The last time I saw the WT 12 year in duty free was in Cincinnati last summer.

Craig

Enthusiast
    It will depend on which terminal you fly out of. If you are on United or Lufthansa and fly out of Terminal 1 there are two very small duty free shops with little or no selection. I picked up a bottle of Rare Breed a couple of months ago for $32 no tax. If you are flying out of terminal 5 I understand that there is a bigger store but I have not flown out of there, so I cannot tell you what they have.