Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Bourbon?

First Bourbon?

Well I've become pretty interested in bourbon after continued drinking of Canadian whisky, from the recomendations I've seen around here I've narrowed my choices for my first bourbon that can be found in my area for around 20 bucks. So I was wondering what would be best for a first time bourbon drinker.

Elijah Craig 12yr $19.95
    Evan Williams Single Barrel $24.95
    Ezra Brooks 12yr $21.95
    Old Forester 86 $17.95
    Wild Turkey 101 $21.95
    Wild Turkey Russel's Reserve $25.95
    Corner Creek Reserve $24.95
    Wellers Special Reserve $15.95

Might be able to get these but they're listed as special order from OLCC so it might be tough to track down.

Old Forester 100 $21.95
    Old Weller 107 $19.95

Or should I go for a better Canadian first in Forty Creek Barrel Select for $20 and work my way up to bourbon? By the way the Canadian I'm used to is Pendleton, since it's super easy to get in Oregon.

These are pretty much my only choices since I'm a poor college student, and the selection is pretty limited here. These are just off the current OLCC price list, so I don't know if there's any old stock in stores of anything else.
    Last edited by ironmics; 08-03-2006 at 14:07.

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmics
    Well I've become pretty interested in bourbon after continued drinking of Canadian whisky, from the recomendations I've seen around here I've narrowed my choices for my first bourbon that can be found in my area for around 20 bucks. So I was wondering what would be best for a first time bourbon drinker.

Elijah Craig 12yr $19.95
    Evan Williams Single Barrel $24.95
    Ezra Brooks 12yr $21.95
    Old Forester 86 $17.95
    Wild Turkey 101 $21.95
    Wild Turkey Russel's Reserve $25.95
    Corner Creek Reserve $24.95
    Wellers Special Reserve $15.95

Might be able to get these but they're listed as special order from OLCC so it might be tough to track down.

Old Forester 100 $21.95
    Old Weller 107 $19.95

Or should I go for a better Canadian first in Forty Creek Barrel Select for $20 and work my way up to bourbon? By the way the Canadian I'm used to is Pendleton, since it's super easy to get in Oregon.

These are pretty much my only choices since I'm a poor college student, and the selection is pretty limited here. These are just off the current OLCC price list, so I don't know if there's any old stock in stores of anything else.
    Wild Turkey 101

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Hmm, checking the OLCC list there were a few decent pours in the price range that you left off:

Old Grand Dad BIB
    Jim Beam Black
    Buffalo Trace

Of these I think I'd either go with the Buffalo Trace or the WT Russels Reserve. However there is another product I quite like on the list, not a bourbon but a rye whiskey, Wild Turkey Rye.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Advanced Taster
    The first two on your list are just fine. EC 12 yo and EWSB have been the ones I reach for most of the time.

bj

Guru
    Of the ones you listed, I would say either the Evan Williams Single Barrel, if you want a softer taste, or the Wild Turkey 101, if you want a full-bore bourbon experience.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Advanced Taster
    I would go for the Wild Turkey Russels Reserve 90, without hesitation. I'd also suggest Buffalo Trace and the Evan Willams Single Barrell. Many folks just starting out like Makers Mark (its very mild) -- so I'd add that as well. I'd be reluctant to start with the higher proof bourbons - including WT101.

Connoisseur
    Where are you located? Perhaps there is someone here close to you.
    Most the folks here either know a good bourbon bar near them or perhaps may even share a little of their private stock. Some even have planned tastings.
    Dale

"All I want to know is who's the player on second base?"

I live in Eugene, Oregon. I completely forgot to put Buffalo Trace on there. I had been planning on going for the WT101, but I was scared of the high proof, since I'm used to 80 proof Canadian or rum. So, clearly I usually drink very sweet liquors. Sounds like the best choice would be the Evan so far though or the BT. I'll be picking it up Saturday probably, since I'm way to busy to enjoy anything until then. I think I'll grab a back up fifth of MacNaughton just in case the bourbon experience is too much for me Ohhh or should I just grab some Evan 86 as the back up, since it's cheap and should mix well if I end up hating it.
    Last edited by ironmics; 08-03-2006 at 16:16.

Guru
    One you did not have listed, but I highly recommend, and it is well under $20.
    Old Charter 10 year old.
    And the one I like a lot that was on your list, Elijah craig 12 year old
    Can't go wrong with either.
    And then like Tim said, Wild Turkey 101. It is a, (IMHO), in your face, a great whiskey.

Don't waste your money on Corner Creek, it has a muddy flavor. Speculation on this board has it, that they combined a "wheated" bourbon with a "rye" bourbon to get the so-called 4 grain thing going on.
    Last edited by OscarV; 08-03-2006 at 16:52.

No old charter in Oregon. So far the finallists are WT101, BT, and EWSB. Also from a review of someone else from Oregon. I'm thinking about Rebel Yell maybe. He said he like softer, sweeter ones so his list is probably pretty good to go off of.

http://bluekitchen.net/bestbourbonlist.html