Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Old Dominion Oak Barrel Stout

The Old Dominion Brewing Co. in Ashburn, VA has an Oak Barrel Stout that has been conditioned in oak bourbon barrels. "The Oak Barrel Stout is a delicious blend of heavy roasted malt flavor and sweet bourbon flavor with an overlay of vanilla." I tried it and I must say it was very good if you like dark beers.

http://www.olddominion.com/pg/ales

Scott
    Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whisky is barely enough. - Mark Twain

Disciple
    My understanding is that the Oak Barrel Stout on draught is conditioned in oak bourbon barrels, while the bottled version is mixed with charred wood chips (or something like that) to simulate the barreling.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Guru
    A good friend of mine recently returned from a trip out east where he tried the Old Dominion at his brother in laws and while not a stout drinker, said it was one of the two or three best beers he's ever had. Unfortunately, he said, it's not available but in a very limited area.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Dane, I do a lot of travelling and if I ever come through Missouri again I will bring you a six pack. It won't be for some time though. My next trip is to Ireland and Scotland to do a whiskey tour.

Scott
    Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whisky is barely enough. - Mark Twain

Guru
    I appreciate that Scott, but you might want to call first on a trip to Missouri. It seems my company has decided Colorado is the place I oughta be... Boulder to be precise. Dang it I'm gonna miss that Arch. All I'll have to look at are those danged mountains....
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

So I finally made it out to the brewery this weekend. They do a very nice tour there and they give you free beer to drink while on the tour. Dan is correct. Only the draught beer is conditioned in bourbon barrels. They use a different process for the bottled version. I thought the bottled version is great but the draught is outstanding.

Scott

Connoisseur
    On my last tour at Old Dominion, the guide invited everybody to taste the caramel that was exuding from the bourbon barrel. Evidently the pressure from the beer forces these barrel sugars to the surface. You have to work to pick it off, but talk about an awesome taste!!?!

Disciple
    Anyone know where else in DC/NOVA the Oak Barrel Stout is served on draught besides the brewery? Ashburn is a little out of my way.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Quote Originally Posted by Sijan
    Anyone know where else in DC/NOVA the Oak Barrel Stout is served on draught besides the brewery? Ashburn is a little out of my way.
    Unfortunately the brewery is the only place it is available on draught.

Scott

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Gentleman
    Unfortunately the brewery is the only place it is available on draught.

Scott
    Scott, I have to disagree with you...

I've had it on tap a number of times at a small beer bar in Verona (a small town upstream of Pittsburgh, PA on the Allegheny River). They have about 20 taps and specialize in craft beers. The Oak Barrel Stout is not a regular offering but has been on tap there at least a few times during the last couple of years.

Mark