Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Summing Up Each Bourbon Maker in a Few Words

Buffalo Trace: Clean, rich, fine-flavored whiskeys, a "city" distillery in this sense: signature whiskey: Elmer T. Lee

Heaven Hill: Exhuberant, feisty, full-flavored whiskeys: a "country" distillery in the best sense - signature whiskey, McKenna 10 year old SB, Rittenhouse BIB or EWSB.

Beam Brands - mass production house achieving good but not great flavors. Signature: Beam Black or Knob Creek in the premium end.

Four Roses: elegant, balanced whiskies with the fruitiness that characterised most bourbon way back when. Signature: FRSB.

Barton Brands: a solid performer whose whiskies are not elegant or fine-flavored but full of taste and traditional character. Also, a house that offers fine value. Signature: VOB (any proof over 80).

Wild Turkey: also not an elegant style but tending towards big jousting flavors of wood, char, corn and rye. Even the premium end shows these qualities, in a richer interpretation. Signature: WT 101 and some would say Rare Breed.

Maker's Mark: a maker of wheated bourbon whiskey which pleases many due to its gentleness. A good introductory whiskey or for those who like its mildness, and a standby in restaurants when choice is restricted. Signature: there is only one.

Brown-Forman: whiskeys which accent the floral element. Signature: OF 100 proof.

Comments?

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-28-2006 at 18:21.

Enthusiast
    By signature you mean best representation of the brand or the brands best bourbon?

Great idea by the way.

Many will disagree, and perhaps it is because I approach with caution, but I find Old Granddad 114 smoother than Makers. I think Makers needs a little longer in the barrel. I’m sure I am the exception.
    Last edited by Black85L98; 08-28-2006 at 18:16.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Both senses are valid: what is both typical of the distillery and its best product? This would exclude for HH, say, EC 18 year old which is admired by many (not all) but surely is not typical of the range.

Gary

Enthusiast
    Or for me HH would be EC12YO while many hate it. Best in keeping with brand is EWSB.

Oh and for BT I would go with ETL SB or Blantons.

Advanced Taster
    As much as I like MM, I agree with Black that it could stand a little more barrel time.
    For HH, I think Very Rare Old HH 10 YO BIB is a better whiskey than EWSB. I can understand the oversight, as it is only available in KY, I believe.

And the folks in Clermont's best whiskey is the Black Label.

Enthusiast
    Regular EW BIB is good stuff, I bet 10YO HH is very nice.

Guru

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Black85L98
    By signature you mean best representation of the brand or the brands best bourbon?

Great idea by the way.

Many will disagree, and perhaps it is because I approach with caution, but I find Old Granddad 114 smoother than Makers. I think Makers needs a little longer in the barrel. Iím sure I am the exception.
    You're not the only one. I don't understand it, but to me, Makers is harsh (and I've said it before).

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast
    I like Makers and it was my first step up from JB Black if you consider it better than WT 101, I guess I don't.

Makers would be a real good $13 whiskey.

Apprentice
    Black,
    You are the second person today to inspire me to try OGD 114.

Maker's Mark was one of the first bourbon's I tried, and I really didn't care for it. This surprised the heck out of my husband, who thought its mildness would be a good "chic bourbon".
    pabourbongal

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Black85L98
    I like Makers and it was my first step up from JB Black if you consider it better than WT 101, I guess I don't.

Makers would be a real good $13 whiskey.
    I drink all 3 of those and to me it doesn't need to a case of better or worse, just different.

Not sure Bill Samuels would agree with the price point.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.