Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

The price we pay

I've been noticing some pretty hefty price increases. Inflation? I'm a BIG fan of Binny's in Chicago but have noticed several large increases in prices, there and elsewhere. Anybody else notice this?
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012
    You obviously haven't read my "whining" about the prices in Indy! Increases have occurred within the past 6-8 months.

Dawn

Advanced Taster
    Mostly everyone is starting to see the effects of gas pricing throughout the retail chain. Most folks think we only see it at the pump, but it will be rippling through everything from bourbon to banannas.

Connoisseur
    Must be time for the Government to invade Kentucky...the protesters will have signs that read...No Blood for Bourbon...
    Todd

Disciple
    Perhaps also a sign of the bourbon shortage we hear Chuck mention occasionally?
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    I'm not sure how much of it is related to the tightness of supplies, but that could be a factor, especially with extra-aged products such as the BT Antiques.

Oil could be a factor.

This is price increase "season" too in that industry, to get new prices established well in advance of the holidays.

As you might imagine, the cost of a product that has to be stored for many years before it can be sold is pretty sensitive to interest rates.

I also think all of us can take some credit for it. The American whiskey category is more robust than it has been in decades and there's a little understandable profit-taking going on.

Connoisseur
    I'm not responsible I haven't had any bourbon for the last...20 hours (not counting the drink I have in my hand now). And I sure haven't talked to anybody about bourbon for the last...humm 90 minutes (other than now). What a preposterous notion. And lord knows I haven't purchased any bourbon (other than the two cases I ordered yesterday).
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Connoisseur
    Dawn I noticed your comments about Indy, I just thought that prices were higher in general there and had been for a while.
    Mark/Nebraska

Connoisseur
    Odd about what you are all saying about the gas prices, they seemed to have dropped significantly around here and Iím hearing that same is true in many other areas. Iím sure this is only temporary though.

As for the bourbon prices, putting inflation aside, I think they will most certainly continue to rise. This is something I think about every now and then when Iím reading here or drinking one of my favorites which are probably becoming the favorites of more and more people. As much as I love it, I mostly blame the internet. In searching for places to buy or find out more about different brands Iíve come across other brands that I want to try just as thousands of others have. Before the internet the diligent collector/hobbyist could have still learned of and tracked down these brands but the web makes it almost effortless so there are plenty more people doing this. The companies know this and since this generates demand it also generates higher prices in the long run, especially on the premium stuff. While most of the increases I have noticed have been small Iím sure they will be steady. My theory anywayÖ
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Connoisseur
    I know that here in Sunny San Diego, I just have to suck it up and pay whatever (59 for lot b, 73 for RHF, 42 for WTRB, etc). If I'm lucky to even find the stuff, I guess I have to pay whatever they are asking, that ir stick to WT101, JBW, JBB, or MM.