Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Trippah and Admin

Re: George Dickel Barrel Select

Ohio has it in the 43.00-45.00 range. Every time I go and see it, I pick up something else in a lower price point. I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Apprentice

Available in Kansas at 38.00. Haven't tried it yet, as I like the 12yr at about half the price.

Connoisseur

Over in the What are you drinking tonight, Spring '08 thread, Joe asked

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    What's the verdict between the GD and the JD. Interested in your opinion.
    He was asking for my thoughts on Jack Daniels Silver Select vs. George Dickel Barrel Select. I didn't get back to him very quickly, and I thought a review would belong better over here. So here goes.

The JDSS is export only, unfortunately, but worth it if you can get some ($60 in London duty free last I heard). It's very intense, with a candied nose, fruity, and oddly, sea air (maybe others would call it salt water taffy?). Also surprising was if I held my nose about 1" from the rim of the glass and waved it back and forth I distinctly picked up bazooka bubble gum. The palate is balanced with the kind of big mouthfeel you normally associate with a big aged bourbon. I picked up jujus or candied fruit, bananas, and lots of caramel. Fat, luxurious finish with leather appearing near the end.

GDBS is quite a bit different. To me the GDBS is the quintessential Tennessee whiskey - it's what a Tennessee whiskey should be. The relation to GD12 is obvious, but the BS is more intense in every respect. The nose offers char, cornflakes, marzipan and a hint of coconut. For the palate the maple char comes through very clearly, which is what I associate with Tennessees. It's a very grainy whiskey too - cornflakes and oats are easily noticed. It moves into some custard and caramel. Nicely sweet, on the lighter side, with a crisp, clean finish.

Both are terrific pours. I would like to keep them both in my bunker.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Guru

That answers my question very well. Thanks Mark.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur

Just doing my job.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Silver Select is the name given to bottles produced under JD's buy-a-barrel program, so it's from the same inventory as single barrel. It's not export only.

Enthusiast

found a bottle today in Florida for $38.99. will be trying it out tomorrow night.
    ____
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Silver Select is the name given to bottles produced under JD's buy-a-barrel program, so it's from the same inventory as single barrel. It's not export only.
    Well, yes and no, according to my understanding: Silver Select IS export-only, but differs from the Single Barrel only in that it is bottled at 100 proof. The retailer single-barrels around here -- and there are many, including one just around the corner from me, which I brought to the Sampler last year -- all are 94 proof, and carry the standard single-barrel branding, plus a metal neck tag designating the owner/purchaser.
    When I was visiting JD last, they were switching to a Silver Select bottling on the single-barrel bottling line, and explained the only difference was re-calibrating the proof and using the correct bottles.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I don't know. I have a bottle, domestic production, that says Silver Select and is 100 proof, and it was from a buy-a-barrel, although I got it direct from the distillery. Is it possible the barrel purchaser has some proof options?

My recollection is that they are "essentially" the same except for the proof, i.e., they both come from the same barrel inventory.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I don't know. I have a bottle, domestic production, that says Silver Select and is 100 proof, and it was from a buy-a-barrel, although I got it direct from the distillery. Is it possible the barrel purchaser has some proof options?

My recollection is that they are "essentially" the same except for the proof, i.e., they both come from the same barrel inventory.
    When I looked at this a bunch of years back, there was (do not know if there still is) an option to have hight proof. At the time, the thought of purchasing a barrel seemed out of my league... so I did not ask any follow up questions.... but I think you could have at least up to 100 proof... maybe more...