Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Taster
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    57

    Alberta Springs 25yo Limited Rye

    Hey folks, anyone tried the Alberta Springs 25 year old Centennial Limited Rye Whisky yet? I can't seem to find a lick of information on the internet about it, the Alberta Distillers website doesn't work, and I don't want to open my bottle just yet because it took me forever to find just the one!

    Anyone?

  2. #2
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,745
    I assume this is Canadian rye.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

    "Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

  3. #3
    Taster
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe
    I assume this is Canadian rye.
    Joe
    Yes, quite right, sorry.

  4. #4
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,375
    The distillery that makes Alberta Springs, which is in Alberta, is the only Canadian distillery that uses 100 percent rye. It still isn't straight rye in the American sense, because it is still a blend of nearly-neutral whiskey (approximately 85 percent) with lower-proof flavoring whiskey, but in their case all of the whiskey is rye.

    Alberta Springs is owned by Beam Global (i.e., Jim Beam/Fortune Brands). Tangle Ridge is also made there.

    Beam probably probably is trying to figure out what to do with its "old" Canadian properties now that it owns Canadian Club.

    By the way, the ADL website was up a couple of weeks ago, though there wasn't much there. Its current problems probably are temporary and not deliberate.
    Last edited by cowdery; 09-01-2006 at 12:01.

  5. #5
    Novice
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    4

    Re: Alberta Springs 25yo Limited Rye

    I picked up a bottle of this the other day and it comes in a nice tube, but when you open up the tube you get exactly the same bottle as the Alberta Premium. The only difference is that age statement on the label. No big deal, it is whats in the bottle that counts.

    The rye is very smooth with a good oak and rye nose and the flavours are deep with hints of chocolate with good spice balance. Absolutely no bitterness and the finish is fairly long with a tingling sensation on your tongue, which is quite enjoyable!

    When comparing the standard vs the 25YO there is no comparision, the 25 YO is great. Going back to the 5 YO Premium is kind of a let down. Now you have to remember that the review also takes into account the price for this product, which is $29.95CDN! Where can you get a 25 year old whisky for $30.

    Darcy
    The Art of Drink

  6. #6
    Taster
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    57

    Re: Alberta Springs 25yo Limited Rye

    I assume you found a bottle in Ontario? Good find if you did! I've since gotten information that the run on this stuff was about 5800 bottles, and they've long since been sold out. If there are anymore, I would suggest you buy them. Through lots of hard work, a contact of mine found me a half dozen bottles which I'll gladly sit on!
    Also, I'm interested in what you mentioned about the label. The label on my bottle is the standard "Alberta Springs" label (only with 25 years not 10 years) not the Alberta Premium label as you mention. Curious! I'm not quite as fond of it as you seem to be however. Although I think it is an enjoyable drink, I find it lacks the deep but balanced complexity that a great 25 year old whisky should display - saving grace is that its not overwhelmed by oak. Nevertheless, its not often we see a Canadian rye of that age released, so its a memorable dram none-the-less! And for the price of $29.95, its an outstanding purchase!

    Quote Originally Posted by dsoneil View Post
    I picked up a bottle of this the other day and it comes in a nice tube, but when you open up the tube you get exactly the same bottle as the Alberta Premium. The only difference is that age statement on the label. No big deal, it is whats in the bottle that counts.

    The rye is very smooth with a good oak and rye nose and the flavours are deep with hints of chocolate with good spice balance. Absolutely no bitterness and the finish is fairly long with a tingling sensation on your tongue, which is quite enjoyable!
    the price for this product, which is $29.95CDN! Where can you get a 25 year old whisky for $30.

    Darcy
    The Art of Drink

  7. #7
    Taster
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    57

    Re: I stand corrected!

    My appologies DSONEIL! Alberta Distillers HAS released a 25 year version of its Alberta Premium brand! I just realized this in a quick trip to my favorite Liquor Store -- I've been out of the country for 7 weeks and am a little behind obviously. Alberta Distillers also did release a 25 year of its Alberta Springs brand awhile back, and that is what I was refering to in this post and the response below!

    Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip View Post
    I assume you found a bottle in Ontario? Good find if you did! I've since gotten information that the run on this stuff was about 5800 bottles, and they've long since been sold out. If there are anymore, I would suggest you buy them. Through lots of hard work, a contact of mine found me a half dozen bottles which I'll gladly sit on!
    Also, I'm interested in what you mentioned about the label. The label on my bottle is the standard "Alberta Springs" label (only with 25 years not 10 years) not the Alberta Premium label as you mention. Curious! I'm not quite as fond of it as you seem to be however. Although I think it is an enjoyable drink, I find it lacks the deep but balanced complexity that a great 25 year old whisky should display - saving grace is that its not overwhelmed by oak. Nevertheless, its not often we see a Canadian rye of that age released, so its a memorable dram none-the-less! And for the price of $29.95, its an outstanding purchase!

  8. #8
    Novice
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    4

    Re: I stand corrected!

    Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip View Post
    My appologies DSONEIL! Alberta Distillers HAS released a 25 year version of its Alberta Premium brand! I just realized this in a quick trip to my favorite Liquor Store -- I've been out of the country for 7 weeks and am a little behind obviously. Alberta Distillers also did release a 25 year of its Alberta Springs brand awhile back, and that is what I was refering to in this post and the response below!
    I've never tried the Alberta Springs 25YO, but if you get a chance do pick up the Alberta Premium 25YO it is pretty good, especially for the $30 price tag.

    Darcy
    The Art of Drink

  9. #9
    Taster
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    57

    Re: I stand corrected!

    OMG...I just cracked a bottle of it.......RIVETING. Absolutely riveting!!! Its is simply bursting with rye flavour, without and abundance of oak. Unbelievable! No time to talk, must pour myself another. One of the best Canadian rye blends I have tasted in my short history....



    Quote Originally Posted by dsoneil View Post
    I've never tried the Alberta Springs 25YO, but if you get a chance do pick up the Alberta Premium 25YO it is pretty good, especially for the $30 price tag.

    Darcy
    The Art of Drink

  10. #10
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    8,982

    Re: Alberta Springs 25yo Limited Rye

    Good to see interest in the category, I haven't tried this one as yet, it is not available (not that I have seen) in Ontario. I always have an open mind, and look forward to trying it.

    I always hold hope that a Canadian whisky will break the mold. So far this has been done, successfully, with Lot 40, and also the Kittling Ridge whiskies.

    The well-aged, single cask or otherwise differentiated Canadians I have tried (e.g. Century Reserve 21 and 15 years old, Hirsch 13 years old, Gibson's Bourbon Cask, the new Crown Royal from the Waterloo distillery stocks) have been good or very good but within the bounds of the traditional Canadian taste. CC Sherry Cask was quite good although perhaps monochrome in taste.

    It has been some years since I tried Gooderham & Worts, a fine old name in Canadian distilling, absorbed into Hiram Walker in the 1920's. I recall it being worthy but again very much in the Canadian, mild-tasting tradition.

    If Kittling Ridge gets around to releasing any single cask whiskies, that may be the next breakthrough.
    Last edited by Gillman; 12-24-2006 at 16:35.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Watergate bourbon-Meadow Springs distillery
    By Giobo in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-05-2006, 20:42
  2. Alberta Premium Canadian Whisky
    By Frodo in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-13-2006, 18:11
  3. Bourbon in Colorado Springs
    By camduncan in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2006, 16:50
  4. Alberta Springs
    By matthew0715 in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 09:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top