Just wanted to post a heads up for this bourbon. It was the first bottle I acquired on getting to California months ago and since I'm leaving this weekend I thought it would be appropriate to open it up and give it a try before leaving.

At four years old and 80 proof, I was very reserved in my expectations which were blown away by the actual product. Now this was a pre-metric pint that I imagine dates from the late 60's or early 70's, but it was amazingly rich and full flavored for an 80 proof bottle. There was a very nice balance between the corn sweetness and the wood smokiness. It was also very smooth and not overly "kicky" for a young whiskey. I shared it with my co-workers and everyone was impressed by it.

My girlfriend found the nose very fruitcake-like. It compared very favorably to the current JB Black. I encourage anyone finding old bottles of this whiskey to grab them and give it a try.

I don't know if they were barreling it at lower proofs, or letting it sit longer than four years, or not filtering as much flavor out of it, or what. But like I said, I didn't expect it to come up with as much flavor as it did.

I thought that was the only Old Quaker I had managed to find, but then I remembered that I have a quart of the six year boxed up somewhere. So now I have something to look forward to, as well as something to keep searching for.

Best,

-Mike