Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso
    I'll second (or third, or fourth) the recommendation for 100% agave. A mini of Cuervo Gold turned me off of tequila - until I came across a tasting of Distinguido at my nearby Binny's. It's available in blanco, reposado, and a˝ejo versions, all 100% agave, and all were out for tasting. A bottle of the reposado followed me home... it's very sippable neat, yet it's light enough to be good in a cocktail - which reminds me, I ought to mix a margarita or go fishing for tequila cocktail recipes on cocktaildb.com some time.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Cuervo Gold may not be 100% agave (actually I thought it was, but maybe not) but it has an excellent house flavor. I find it a bit sweet but sometimes sweetness is wanted, e.g., after dinner with coffee.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Gold or "oro" tequilas can only be made in the mixto class. There are no 100% agave oros. Gold tequila is not aged. Its color comes from the addition of caramel. That is also where it gets its sweetness.

I saw today another Cuervo which said 100% agave on it. Red seal wax top, looked expensive but there was no price tag and I had to leave before I could ask. Something on it too about family reserve.

I would think in the Cuervo line it's the raddest of the rad, fashizzle.

Anyone try it?

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 09-06-2006 at 13:37.

Connoisseur

Jcrf

Thats probably Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia. Did it come in a designer box? Each year they commemorate a mexican artist who designs the display box. It is in my top 5 of tequilas. It is WONDERFUL!
    Anywhere from $75-$110. An excellent "bargain" tequila is El Tesoro anejo. $33-$40ish.

http://orig.app.com/goodlife/Fall200.../tequila2.html

Thanks, yes, it comes in a box and as you described. It was in a section of the store where the spirits are usually over $100. I'd guess (we could check at www.lcbo.com) it is going for about $150.00 (CAN).

Gary

Connoisseur

jcrf vintage

Each year actually tastes a little different as well. I have had the 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006. Of those, the 2004 is my favorite thus far. They go back as far as 1995.

Enthusiast
    I tend to go for solid mid-shelfers for my tequila choices. If I bought in Ontario, and it's poor selection, I'd go for Herradurra Repo. Definatly worth the $55 cdn price tag.

When family members go to PV, they do bring back bottles for me. Some favourites of mine are Gran Centenario Anjeo, Don Edwardo Reposado, 4 Copas Blanco. Still in my early discovery phase though.

Must say I did like the Jose Cuervo de la Familia. Not at $190 cdn, but at $100 US from a duty-free it would be an easy purchase.

Virtuoso
    The other day, I went searching for tequila-based, non-Margarita cocktail recipes on CocktailDB. I ended up trying a couple of them:
    In both cases, I used Distinguido Reposado and Noilly Prat white vermouth. For the Eagle, I used Appleton Estate golden rum, while I used Cointreau in the Matador, instead of ordinary curašao.

I found the Matador a lot more enjoyable than the Eagle. In the Eagle, the ingredients seemed to fight one another, with the vermouth winning. The Matador, on the other hand, was a very well-integrated drink.

I later tried a "Jamaicanized" version of the Red Hook, substituting the Appleton Estate golden rum for rye whiskey. This seemed to have an intriguing, smoky edge to it that I don't find when I make it the normal way with rye - but I liked it a whole lot better than the Mexican Eagle.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

An 'el cheap-o' that I think is good value for the money (think, Old Heaven Hill 10yo BIB):
    http://www.bevmo.com/productinfo.asp...3A99&area=club
    Tim