Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by CrispyCritter
    The other day, I went searching for tequila-based, non-Margarita cocktail recipes on CocktailDB. I ended up trying a couple of them:
    Their bourbon gallery is worth a gander,

http://cocktaildb.com/ingr_gallery?id=415

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Based on Chuck's posts I picked up a Herradura Reposado. It is very good and worth the money (considering, that is, the high price of 100% blue agave tequila).

It has a winy good quality blanco base but the short aging softens and improves it. At the same time, the blanco roots are not hidden.

There is a natural oak sweetness which is appealing and possibly a faint whiskey influence from the use (probably) of ex-bourbon barrels.

This is a full-flavoured yet refined drink. I can see how tequila fans regard these as world classics even though I'm still coming to terms with the Gothic taste of cactus-derived spirit.

I tasted it next to one of my (yes folks) tequila blends. The one I chose is part Sauza Gold, part Cuervo Gold, and part Agava Silver (the South African tequila-type drink). Before doing the comparison I added to about 22 ounces of my blend one ounce of the Herradura, because, well why not?

My blend is not as good as the Herradura but it isn't bad by any means, oh no. I used an interesting marrying agent too for my blend. I had put in very little (one ounce maximum) of a neutral alcohol-based red spicy sweet drink which was a recent recreation of a faux-1800's whiskey that Mike Veach gave me. It added a touch of sweetness, faint spice and in general a pleasant overlay to the heavy agave flavours in there. It is a fine drink and would make a great Margarita but for neat sampling I have to give the nod to the Herradura.

While I am on the subject of non-bourbon, I also tried a Napoleon XO St-Remy. This is the brandy, not Remy Martin cognac. Just for fun I thought I would see what a top-line brandy (but non-cognac again) brandy tastes like. It is very good. Better I thought than Spanish brandy but with more fruit and sweetness than the cognacs I've had. It has a deep brandyish taste, with notes of cocoa, fruit and oak. Good integration with a soft lingering finish. This costs $23.00 against 8 and 10 times that for the cognac XOs: I think it holds up very well.

Finally, I sampled one of my ostensibly outlandish blends. This is 1/4 18 year old Canadian brandy; 1/4 rich Spanish brandy; and 1/2 of a well-integrated but kind of bland combination of North American whiskies. I got the idea from Byrn writing in the 1870's who advised to add a raisiny spirit to rye distillate. All my whiskey blends are heavy on the rye so I thought why not add a fruity brandy? I added more though than he advised. He said to add up to 10% raisin spirit and I went much higher but it didn't hurt the whiskey, au contraire. Well, this is really good! The fruit from the brandies informs and deepens the whiskey tastes. It is seamless and good and if anyone had it they might have trouble saying what it is exactly but they could not fail to like it. It too may hit Gazebo table soon.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 09-09-2006 at 12:40.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed
    Their bourbon gallery is worth a gander,

http://cocktaildb.com/ingr_gallery?id=415

Ed
    Thats where I found the picture of the Van Winkle Lot A. Great site for cocktails and research into everything Liquor.
    Joe

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK
    Tequila choice depends on whether you are drinking it straight or in a Margarita. If straight, you want something aged. I prefer El Tesoro aņejo. If you want to drop $100, try El Tesoro Paradiso. It is cognac barreled and very elegant. If making a drink, you want it unaged to get a full, fresh flavor. I recommend El Tesoro Platinum or Sausa Hornitos.

For a good Margarita you MUST use fresh squeezed lime juice and Cointreau.

Limes vary in sweet/tart profile with every batch. About twice a year you will get a batch of limes that are absolutely perfect. On those occations, make the Margarita with El Tesroro Paradiso (or the best aged Tequila you've got) and the result is simply spectacular.

1. Fill cocktail shaker 1/2 full with medium size ice cubes
    2. Add 1 1/2 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1 lime)
    3. Add 1 1/4 oz. El Tesoro Silver tequila
    4. Add 3/4 oz. Cointreau
    5. Place top on shaker and shake for 5 seconds
    6. Pour drink into glass
    I have a question about the El Tesoro tequilas. I saw three of them on the shelf today, the silver, platinum, and one other, I don't recall which. The sliver was a couple of bucks more than the platinum. What is the difference and which do you prefer?

I know that fresh limes are a must, but I don't use them. They are just too expensive here in Japan. I do have a trick to make bottled lime juice more acceptable. I add a few drops of lemon extract to the drink. If I remember in time I pour a bit in the shot glass and pour it back in the bottle. This gives the finished drink a bit of citrus peel flavor that would otherwise be missing.
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubertaster
    It will always say 100% if it is. If it isn't it won't say anything. If it is not 100% it is what is called a mixto. Even mixtos have to have at least 51% Agave and the rest of the alcohol is usually made from sugar of some kind. Most of Sausa choices are mixtos and you wont find a veteran Tequila drinker drinking any Tequila from Sausa. Cuervo also has mostly mixtos but has one 100% that is very good []. It is of course rather expensive at around $80. There are some excellent Tequilas in the $30 to $50 range. I have tried maybe around 125 different ones and like many different ones. There are also some dogs out there but thats what comes with experimenting with different Tequilas. Also different people have different tastes so find the ones you like. I think if you don't like El Tesoro Blanco, Reposado, or Aņejo you probably wont like Tequila.

bj
    Oh no, I like tequila. I am not widely experienced in it, that's all. There is a bottle of Cuervo Reserva de la Familia at my dad's house. I really liked that. I have had a couple of 100% agave silvers, Herradura stands out. I haven't had any that have been aged. The price puts me off. I find myself thinking, "Gee, I could get a bottle of WT 12 year old for that."
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Advanced Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed
    The price puts me off. I find myself thinking, "Gee, I could get a bottle of WT 12 year old for that."
    Ed
    I too am displeased with price of Tequila. By the time it gets to me in the Midwest through all the Federal and local taxes on both sides of the border plus shipping the price is way out of line. I am lucky I live in a state where I can get spirits shipped to my door because the selection in my area is very limited. Because of the taxes and expense of crossing the border Tequila is about $20 higher per bottle than bourbon in the same quality range.

I try to keep my Tequila purchases under the $50 range. Casa Noble blanco and reposado is in this range. I have also found a couple in the $20 range [D Los Altos both blanco and aņejo] that are really good. They can be bought from "The Wine and Liquor Depot" in California. If you want to spend $300 then order Herradura Seleccion Suprema. This is the best in my book and I have a bottle of it for special occasions on my bar. I only buy one of these every couple years.

When I have to decide between a George T. Stagg and a Casa Noble Blanco I get them both.

bj

Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK
    Limes vary in sweet/tart profile with every batch. About twice a year you will get a batch of limes that are absolutely perfect. On those occations, make the Margarita with El Tesroro Paradiso (or the best aged Tequila you've got) and the result is simply spectacular.
    Using Paradiso in a Margarita is just wasting good tequila. I wouldn't think of mixing something with it.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    So, what do you like in a tequila, either for sipping or mixing?
    I really want to read this whole thread, but for now just wanted to share my recent experiences with Tequila. Seems that being bummed about not making it to the festival and the summer weather really ignited my love for tequila again.

While in Oregon I had some of my buddies Jose Cuervo Reserve de la Familia and it was SPECTACULAR! Hardly tasted like tequila and was perfect for sipping straight. It's spendy stuff at just under $80 a bottle, but I'd put it up against any scotch... Of course I don't like scotch so that is a no brainer! Honestly this is one of the few aged Tequilas I enjoy as I typically gravitate toward the Blanco (silver).

As for those I found Gran Centenario (sp) Plata to also be phenomenal, I enjoy shooting it or sipping it with a squeeze of fresh lime juice out of a bourbon glass. Wonderful!... Not too mention a really great looking bottle. In that same class are Herradura Blanco and Chaya Blanco. Strangely enough Gran C. and Herradura I believe are the only two Silver tequilas that are aged briefly, 20 and 40 days respectively I believe, and I think that slight little bit of age adds a very nice touch.

You notice I did not mention what is probably on of the most popular tequilas Patron, which I think is very overrated as is Don Julio and that one my buddy and I will argue about forever.

As for in a margarita I really think you need a Reposado with some bite to cut through the sweetness of the mixers. And as someone else mentioned I think no point in wasting a very expensive tequila for Margaritas, it just doesn't need it. Cuervo 1800 seems to work just fine for me.

I am getting thirsty, I think I'll celebrate my pending (99% sure) move to a place in Seal Beach, (I am sure Dave knows the area 12th in between PCH and Electric Ave) ~3 blocks from the beach with a bottle of Gran Centenario or whatever else Hi Time has a great deal on!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

OK I have pretty well read all of this thread, except (Sorry Gary) some of Gillman's long post about he came up with anything good tasting that included Cuervo Gold. Again sorry Gary, I just can't go below 1800 for anything and find that gold stuff worthless even for margaritas.

Anyway I appear to be one of the few that enjoys sipping on the Silver Tequilas (Blanco and Plata). And yes Chuck sipping on a Tequila is every bit as enjoyable as sipping on a whiskey. I find my bourbon glass works well for this and I do add a squeeze of a fresh lime wedge.... Yummy!

And about Ceurvo Rezerve DL; yeah it is exceptional stuff. I can get it around here just under $80 which is spendy, but dam is it good!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life
    Anyway I appear to be one of the few that enjoys sipping on the Silver Tequilas (Blanco and Plata).
    I'll agree with you. The 100% Agave Blanco tequilas are my favorite for both making margs and drinking neat. They still have the pepper taste that I like in a tequilla. I off to Cancun for week this Friday, so I will have some tasting practice.