Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur
    I love this stuff. It would be what I'd buy if I didn't have access to the other greats. If I was limited to corner liquor stores I'd pick this over Makers and Beam Black. However, I think this makes a terrible Manhattan, I had one of those once and it didn't gel for me at all.

Is there a difference between the WT 101 and WT 8 YO that is available overseas? If so I'll pick up a bottle when I'm in Ireland in a week or so. Please let me know.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    The 101 was available for quite a while in our market and I am quite familiar with it.

It is good honest bourbon to be sure but for neat sipping, I find it a bit woody in a frank, uncomplex way. Even the 80 proof has the same basic profile.

I like RB best, I think because it emphasises whiskey aged 6 years. Yes, it is leavened with 8 and 12 year old whiskey (not too much), which makes for a complex, not too tannic drink. The 101 probably is different years too (up to 8) but the complexity of the RB trumps the 101 in my view (then too it costs a lot more).

I guess it depends too how you drink it. For mixed drinks dilution will possibly enhance the 101. For neat sampling I'll go with RB. Once at a Gazebo I had a WT 12 that was remarkably good (gold-colored label). In general though I find the older WTs not as good as the younger expressions.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 09-05-2006 at 17:07.

Guru
    I like WT-101. In fact I like all of their products. I agree with Gary that RB is a notch above most of their standard offerings. I also really enjoy the 12 & 15 year expressions (with the gold foil and Tribute being the best IMO). Wild Turkey, in almost any expression, is not for the casual whiskey drinker. They are bold flavorful pours for the initiated palate IMO.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Good points Joe.

Gary

Enthusiast
    I don't know that I have much to add.

This bourbon can be found in most bars right next to the Makers Mark and you can get your choice for the same price. More often than not my choice is going to be the 101. I drink it on ice and think bringing the proof down opens it up a lot. Still get a nice long warm finish but less oak.

Back when I thought bourbon was JB White, WT 101 was a premium bottle for me, I guess it still is.

Connoisseur
    What a coincidence! I am enjoyng a nice pour of this as I just saw that we have a new BOTM up. I really enjoy this bourbon. I like the taste, the aroma, the color, and the price. It is like an old hound dog or your favorite hunting rifle, reliable. I will always have a bottle of this open, and another just in case.

Virtuoso
    I poured some not too long ago to celebrate - and it's still an old reliable. There's a good hit of oak at first, but if you swirl it around in your mouth before swallowing, the sweetness and spice come through like sunshine.

I actually think it makes superb Manhattans as well - just don't forget the bitters!
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad
    Does Osco Drug still run specials on WT101 at $12.99 every three or four months? Does Trader Joe's still sell it at an everyday price of $13.99? That's the way it was when I moved away in August, 2004.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Not quite that cheap but then again nothing else is either. The 101 can be had for as little as 14.99 here and there. Traders had Knob at $ 17.99 for a long time. Maker's at $15.99 was plentiful also.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Connoisseur
    Wild Turkey 101; Bourbon of the Month, I guess it's not just for shots anymore!

Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by DrinkyBanjo

Is there a difference between the WT 101 and WT 8 YO that is available overseas? If so I'll pick up a bottle when I'm in Ireland in a week or so. Please let me know.
    Tim,

It's a big deferens between 101 and the 8 years sold in Europe. The Europe version is much dryer and in my personal opinion quit dull and not at all as good as 101. But you never know for sure it may appeal to some others.

Leif.
    Swedish lover of American whiskey