Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast
    Mark me under 'others' - I marginally prefer the 8yo - which suits me as it is a big hassle to get the 101.
    Cheers,

Sion (AKA Bamber).

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamber
    Mark me under 'others' - I marginally prefer the 8yo - which suits me as it is a big hassle to get the 101.
    I also enjoy the 8yo. I don´t find it to be particularly drier than other WT:s I´ve tried (the recently opened WT Tradition was extremely dry but that one does hardly count as a typical bottling). Then again, I don´t think that I´ve ever tried the standard 101 so I am not able to make any fruitful comparisons.

Before posting, I glanced through the web pages of most shops I purchase bourbon from and I couldn´t find one single bottle of 101 (the 8yo was everywhere, though).
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedmans Brorsa

Before posting, I glanced through the web pages of most shops I purchase bourbon from and I couldn´t find one single bottle of 101 (the 8yo was everywhere, though).
    Lennart,

The older 8 years version of 101 is sold in 1/3 litre bottle on this page: https://www.weinquelle.com/. I haven’t seen the newer no age ether.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Novice
    I have nothing but fond memories of far, far too many Saturday tailgates where WT101 was our drink of choice. Not that we had a choice, really. When your school mascot is a giant maroon and orange turkey, well, what else can you drink?!?!? This is the bourbon I cut my teeth on, and will always have a bottle or 2 around the house!

Regards,
    Dave
    Virginia Tech, '92

Guru

I agree with what Jeff said in his opening post. To me, WT101 is the standard measuring stick against which all bourbons are compared, that is to say, WT101 = the taste of bourbon.

It was the first premium bourbon I ever tasted in its 8-year old form way back in the late 60's. It was much, much better than anything I had ever tasted, before. And today, it tastes basically the same as it did, then.

While I often say that this or that bourbon could be my everyday pour, WT 101 actually is. I have a bottle of it on hand and I'm looking forward to sampling it and posting further thoughts in this thread.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur
    I never bothered to check but I had always assumed that this already made it to BOTM. Guess I was wrong though. For the price you really can’t go wrong as I’ve tasted other bourbons that cost a lot more and weren’t nearly as good as this. For a while this was my regular pour and in 3 years I've only found one other mid-shelf bourbon worthy of alternating this one with. Perhaps I’ll open one of my Turkey’s in honor of this great bourbon finally getting BOTM, I’ve been dying to see what 8 year old WT101 tastes like.

/\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Novice
    I have been heavily into bourbon for just a little while now and we used to buy WT 101 just because it is the only thing drinkable at that proof and price. I didn't realize until recently that it was so well made. I am working my way through the newer, more expensive bourbon and I was very pleasently surprised at how well this stuff stacks up. Comapired to the Jim Beam variations, the WT bourbons have so much more going on that I think I may need to finish several glasses to evaluate it properly.

Life is good...
    Last edited by Chico; 09-06-2006 at 20:56.

Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc
    Not quite that cheap but then again nothing else is either. The 101 can be had for as little as 14.99 here and there. Traders had Knob at $ 17.99 for a long time. Maker's at $15.99 was plentiful also.
    I beg to differ, Rite Aid still throws it on sale for $12.99 at least as recently as a month or so ago they did. That is why I can classify this as the best bourbon for under $15

And this will give me a good excuse to go pick up those 4 bottles of 8 year 101 that are still sittin on a dusty shelf in boxes. The current 101 is great, but I have to be honest when I say I'd take the 8 year old of 10, 15 or more years ago over it anyday.
    Last edited by Virus_Of_Life; 09-06-2006 at 21:20.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    I am sadly negligent in not drinking Wild Turkey 101 often enough, an error I intend to correct at my first opportunity.

One thing that occurs to me is that we often bemoan the fact that bourbons even 50 years ago were mostly distilled and entered at slightly over 100 proof. Today there is only one: Wild Turkey.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedmans Brorsa
    Maybe 101 (Cannot see label properly) ? -> http://www.whisky-doris.de/preislisteUn.php (Look under American whiskey, near bottom of page).

The only time I've got the 101, is when I've got friends to bring it back from the US.
    Cheers,

Sion (AKA Bamber).