Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamber
    Maybe 101 (Cannot see label properly) ? -> http://www.whisky-doris.de/preislisteUn.php (Look under American whiskey, near bottom of page).

The only time I've got the 101, is when I've got friends to bring it back from the US.
    Sion,

The 1/3 litre bottle is 101 al right. I remember when it was sold on the tax-free market in the first half of the 90-is in a 3-pack alongside if I remember right a Buchmills and Abourlore.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Enthusiast
    Hi Leif,

It's 101, but it's not the no age statement version is it ? Take a loot there's a little 8 on the bottom right of the label:

http://www.whisky-doris.de/images/WildTurkey8k.jpg
    Cheers,

Sion (AKA Bamber).

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamber
    Hi Leif,

It's 101, but it's not the no age statement version is it ? Take a loot there's a little 8 on the bottom right of the label:

http://www.whisky-doris.de/images/WildTurkey8k.jpg
    Sion,

That’s right. It is the older version with an 8-year statement. However the taste profile is quit similar. I have not seen the no age version in any German online store.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Enthusiast
    Still we're luck enough to have the 12yo readily available, so maybe we should not worry too much about not getting the 101 NAS.
    Cheers,

Sion (AKA Bamber).

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei
    Sion,

I remember when it was sold on the tax-free market in the first half of the 90-is
    Leif
    You´ve been around for quite a while, Leif! And there I was, at the end of the 90´s, feeling all alone, totally unaware that there was a revolution brooding in Dalarna (a Swedish province).
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    As promised, I poured myself some Wild Turkey 101 last night. I agree with the notion that this is a "benchmark" bourbon. In fact, it has a lot more flavor than most, no doubt due to its low distillation/entry proof. That also gives it a lot more grain character than most, yet I was struck by the barrel notes and especially the char. As Jimmy always says, they do everything the old fashioned way, and you can really taste that heavy #4 char.

I have been in the habit of pointing newbies in the direction of Maker's Mark, but maybe Wild Turkey 101 is a better choice. Certainly it is more indicitive of what they will find as they sample other products.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    I think WT might be interesting to taste with less barrel notes.

Gary

The Boss
    It's interesting that this is the fourth or fifth time that Jeff and I have chosen the same BOTM. Just goes to show that great minds think alike.

WT 101 has long been my favorite "out in the woods" bourbon. I never venture into the great outdoors on a camping trip without packing a bottle of it. IMO, a large part of what makes the 101 so attractive is the consistency of the product. It was superb bang for the buck 15 years ago, and remains so today. I don't drink it all that often, but it seems that the few times a year that I do the flavor profile is exactly as I remember it four months, four years, or a decade ago.

Bravo Jimmy!
    Last edited by jbutler; 09-12-2006 at 08:52.
    Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com

Connoisseur
    Well I had my glass today and I must say I love this stuff. To me it's everything a Bourbon should be. I kept it going with a glass of 101 Rye afterwards. Enjoyable but not in the same league if you ask me.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Virtuoso

WT Rye

Actually, I'd say that the 101 Rye is to rye as the 101 bourbon is to bourbon - a great whiskey that doesn't need to apologize for anything. The one and only reason that I go through more Rittenhouse than WT rye is the price. Wild Turkey's rye, however, has an intensity to it that even Rittenhouse BIB can't match - the spice knob has been turned to 11.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!