Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    I hadn't had the 101 in awhile. Brought home a 200ml from my liquor-store shift tonight. Surprised by the Red Hots/cinnamon nose. Surprised by the fresh-harvest corncrib taste. On the one hand, it doesn't me. On the other hand, I could drink it every night.
    Tim

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    I opened up a decanter from the 70's of WT 101 8 year old tonight. It's WT 101, so it does qualify as BOTM. What can I say, WT is damn consistent product. A slight bit darker in color than the current product. Adding a drop of water opened up some fruity, orange taste that I really like.

As mentioned by other posters, this is a great standby. I often order this while I'm out because most places have it and I know I'm going to enjoy it!

Thanks Jimmy for keeping WT 101 just what it is.

Well, I hate to interrupt the love fest with a bit of sacriledge, but here goes...

I was happy to see this as a BOTM, as I have never tried it before today, and it's priced right so I could afford to pick up a bottle. Unfortunately, the Maker's Mark was also on sale, and that bottle of Elijah Craig 18 YO looked very interesting... So much for the cheap price :-)

So today was my very first ever pour of the WT101.

I do not care for it. The "char" as someone else described it, is very prominent. Too prominent for my tastes. That element reminds me of the taste I get in my mouth when I am cooking over my charcoal barbeque for a long time...

It's not a bad bourbon, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near Eagle Rare 10YO, Elmer T. Lee or Maker's Mark. For that matter, I'd rather pour Elijah Craig 12YO or Knob Creek.

This is my first Wild Turkey product. I was going to buy a bottle of Kentucky Spirit at some point, but now I'm not so sure. I'm thinking for my palate I would probably be better served by the bottle of blanton's one shelf over...

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Connoisseur
    If you do go for another bottle of WT I would recommend the Rare Breed over the Kentucky Spirit. That's just me though.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Connoisseur
    The first time that I had 101, I did not care for it. I think it was the char which you are describing. I had gone througha bottle of KS and RB before I had another 101 pour. After I had tasted some of the better stuff, and became more familiar with the profile, I really began to enjoy the 101. I am to the point now where I have a pour of this three times a week.

Taster

Angry 80 proof

Don't you hate it when a loved one breaks out the Turkey and its 80 proof. Says its your favorite to the crowd.
    "Mama wanted me to be a preacher. I told her coachin' and preachin' were alot alike." Paul Bryant

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by mythrenegade
    This is my first Wild Turkey product. I was going to buy a bottle of Kentucky Spirit at some point, but now I'm not so sure. Joel
    DonŽt give up the idea, Joel. As IŽve mentioned earlier, I donŽt think IŽever tried the classic 101 but the 8yo we in Europe have as a substitute is also very heavy on char.

The KS, you will find, is different in style.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Well, I've poured this three times now. The first time I recorded above. The second pour I enjoyed, although I would still rank it at the bottom of my premium bourbon list. The third pour last night, well, I was back to my first impressions. I poured a glass of Elijah Craig 18 YO afterwards, and that was much, much more to my liking. I guess WT101 and my palate simply don't agree.

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Connoisseur
    I was able to purchase a bottle of Wild Turkey 8 YO in Duty Free on my way to Ireland. It was $20 for a litre. I'll sample this weekend next to my bottle of US 101 to see if it is different. I read somewhere else here that the current 101 is 4, 6, and 8 YO whiskey so I'd imagine this will be different.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Advanced Taster
    I think WT101 was one of the first american whiskeys I ever tried, although I didn't necessarily know, notice (or care) that it was Bourbon whiskey at the time -- it was just Wild Turkey to me ;-) I usually always drank it alongside a micro-brew. When I drink it now, I can taste a lot more flavors in it now than I used to, especially the sweetness. WT101 is a reliable pour when I'm out, since everyone has it - including the dive-bars.