Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    The set-up is about as basic as it can get but, that said, it's interesting to see how they "industrialized" it within the limits of their technology. The only process controls are sensory; the sound of the cooking pot, the intensity of the fire, the color of the distillate, its smell. People think it's important to keep crafts like hand weaving or broom making alive, why not spirits-making?

The other interesting part to me is the encasement. With the demonstration still, the pot is about half encased in concrete and brick. With the five in the new distillery, the pots are completely encased. I didn't see a drain, so I'm not sure how they cleaned them. I have to believe there is a drain of some sort. The demo unit has one.

Novice
    That is the old fashined way to do it, and it should be kept alive. Few people I would guess still now how to run a still that way. They must have a drain, if they ever intent to use it the way Washington would have, water was usually heated in the still for the mash unless he had a separate boiler. I noticed the pictures of the stills and they are totally incased it may be historically correct. I have seen some older still designs set up like that. They were totally encased in sand, and then brick. This allowed for a more even heating and less chance of scorching the grain. It would be interesting to know if they used this technique.

Washington did have a separate boiler for heating mash water. I'll have to ask about the sand. Whatever is inside, they topped it with concrete.

Picture of the exterior, from the current issue of WHISKY Magazine.
    Attached Images Attached Images