Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Elijah Craig 18 Year Old

I went to the wine exchange to buy Wild Turkey 101 (not a big hit with me, although my subsequent tastings have been better than my first), and I picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 year old. I really like this. Lots of oak, and a very complex flavor on the whole. It seems like a completely different league than other bourbons I have had. This is one of my favorites already on my first day. Good stuff! Price is good too, I paid $30.99...

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Administrator in exile
    Here are some tasting notes I did on this one a while back.

I have softened somewhat to this one since then and can now enjoy it just about anytime, but it is somewhat woody and can be a challenge for the uninitiated. Try it with a good cigar for an even better experience IMHO.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Even though I haven't yet had the opportunity to try the likes of Stagg or PVW or many other high quality bourbons, for what I have tried, I absolutely loved the Elijah 18, I'd go as far to say it's my favourite bourbon!
    Quote Originally Posted by mythrenegade
    Price is good too, I paid $30.99...
    I'm jealous!
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Connoisseur
    The problem with starting with older bourbons is:

A. You are probably not going to really like them right off.

B. You're risking not going back to them or thinking you wasted your money.

That said, I'm not saying don't buy them. But make sure you try or more probably start your tasting journey with the lower and mid shelf offerings. Give your tastes time to develop.

I purchased a bottle of Stagg right away and sampled it. I thought it was horrible. I have not taken a drink from the bottle since. At the tasting competition, one of the offerings was a Stagg. I initially guessed correctly, but then changed my mind because I didn't think there was enough burn and although the flavors were what I remembered they were much stronger than what I remembered. It was Stagg, but when I initially tasted it many months ago, I was not ready for it.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Connoisseur
    Or...then again I could re-read the beginning post of your thread and see that you really enjoyed it

I too really liked the EC 18. Can't stand the EC 12, which I tried first, but like the EC18 which I tried about a month ago.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska
    Or...then again I could re-read the beginning post of your thread and see that you really enjoyed it
    LOL

I poured this again last night (after pouring a glass of WT101). This bourbon really has a LOT to offer. I think I need to do a head to head with Eagle Rare 10 YO, as I think I have a new favorite bourbon.

Great stuff!

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Connoisseur
    Hey Joel,

I was lucky enough to go to the Bourbon fest this year and made a point for the most part of buying bourbons that I had heard were great values.

VROHH 10yo
    VOB 100 proof
    AAA 10yo (not 10 star)

Man talk about bang for buck! I've had the chance to try all three of these and wow, what a bargain. Not sure if they are available to you in your neck of the woods or by mail order but they are DEFINATELY worth trying if you can get ahold of them.
    Mark/Nebraska

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mythrenegade
    I went to the wine exchange to buy Wild Turkey 101 (not a big hit with me, although my subsequent tastings have been better than my first), and I picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 year old. I really like this. Lots of oak, and a very complex flavor on the whole. It seems like a completely different league than other bourbons I have had. This is one of my favorites already on my first day. Good stuff! Price is good too, I paid $30.99...

Joel
    I really like this bourbon too. There is something in the taste profile that I really like, and don't find in other HH products. Can't put my finger on it, but it's good. This being said, however, unlike the $30.99 you paid, I usually see it in the $35.00+ range. At that price point, I just have a tough time pulling the trigger on it. But, it was one of the pours at the open bar at the Cigar, Bourbon, and Jazz event at the Festival...I had several....
    JOE

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe
    This being said, however, unlike the $30.99 you paid, I usually see it in the $35.00+ range. At that price point, I just have a tough time pulling the trigger on it.
    See, I have only found this at one place, and the price tag is around $52. I would really like to try this stuff, but I guess I am just gonna have to wait a while...

Re: Elijah Craig 18 Year Old

I just opened my first bottle of EC18 last night and was overwelmed with the taste to the point of thinking that something was wrong with the bottle. I has a very musty dirty smell and the taste almost aweful. It had an after taste that stayed in my mouth for hours and it was not pleasant at all. Not metalic but almost a medical aftertaste like a strong disinfectant like bleach or something like that.
    I don't know if I am describing this right but I am begining to wonder if I got a bottle that was "skunked".
    Anybody have some thoughts or advice?
    just to give a referance point:
    I like EC12 as well as numerous other Bourbons that I've had this year
    Knob creek
    Eagle Rare
    VWSR
    Evan William SB
    Buffalo Trace
    Elmer T Lee
    Russell Reserve
    Rare Breed
    Maker's Mark

I have had at least one bottle of each of these this year and while I have not loved them all I have enjoyed them all.

This bottle of EC18 is seeming tainted to me.
    thanks!
    -Chris
    Last edited by clbrosch; 11-30-2006 at 12:12.