Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Eagle Rare 17 - Worth it?

I have had the Eagle Rare 10 SB and it is one of my favorite american whiskey's. Has anyone had the Eagle Rare 17? If so, how does it compare to the 10? Is it worth the extra price? Is it to woody due to the 17 years?

Connoisseur

Re: Eagle Rare 17 - Worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
    I have had the Eagle Rare 10 SB and it is one of my favorite american whiskey's. Has anyone had the Eagle Rare 17? If so, how does it compare to the 10? Is it worth the extra price? Is it to woody due to the 17 years?

1. Has anyone had the Eagle Rare 17? ...there might be one or two on this forum that have tasted ER 17

2. If so, how does it compare to the 10?...the old ten rocks in my world, (Old Prentice version) but you ask ten different people, you'll get 8 different answers...(someone's bound to agree)

3. Is it worth the extra price? If you like the 17 better than the ten...then yes!

4. Is it to woody due to the 17...I don't think so, but then sometimes I enjoy a well aged whiskey...
    Last edited by dougdog; 12-08-2006 at 13:24.

Guru

I used to like ER 17 but the most recent releases (particularly the 2005) are too woody for my taste. Unless you like (or don't mind) oakiness, I'd suggest you stay with the ER SB 10. It is a very good pour and a excellent value.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    I used to like ER 17 but the most recent releases (particularly the 2005) are too woody for my taste. Unless you like (or don't mind) oakiness, I'd suggest you stay with the ER SB 10. It is a very good pour and a excellent value.

John, you mention the ER 10yo SB...I couldn't agree more...

From my memory, I'd say that when I did a vertical tasting of as many ER's as I could get my hands on, the 10yo SB and the ER Old prentice 101 proof were probably the closest in profile. (BT gets high marks here for finding current day whiskies that match the flavor profiles of yesterday's bourbons)

In recent conversations with other friends, the tasting notes for this years ER are not as favorable as in years past. I have not opened my 2006 bottling until I find another, so I cannot comment directly on that position. Over woodiness could be the concern, I'll check into it further...maybe a study group subject for the future.

IIRC, Jim Butler (THE BOSS) likes the ER 17 too...I wonder what his take on this years' edition might be?

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    ...the most recent releases (particularly the 2005) are too woody for my taste...
    I agree regarding the 2005 -- though I've found that letting it aerate in the glass for a few minutes after pouring reduces that. I find the 2006, however, much less so.
    Tim

Connoisseur

Haven't had the 2005, but I think the 2006 hasn't got it's due yet because of all the fuss over the other offerings in the BTAC. I think the ER 17 2006 is an outstanding pour. Definitely worthy of being in the collection.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Virtuoso

Count me in as another fan of ER17, at least the 2006 version - I haven't had any of the earlier ER17s.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Virtuoso

Inspired by this thread, I poured some '06 ER17 after having some Pappy 15.

Mmmmmmm. (for both pours!)

The Pappy 15 seemed to have a bit more spice to it, while the ER17 is a bit sweeter. As for woodiness, the ER17 has a bit less wood than the Pappy 15, but the Pappy is not excessively woody. Both have long, satisfying finishes.

It's kind of ironic, though, that the Pappy (a wheater) seems spicier than the rye-recipe ER17. Higher proof (107 vs. 90)? Barrel selection? Warehouse location? Luck of the draw?

ER17 is a gentle giant in the BTAC series... and worth every penny.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
    I like ER 10/101 and ER 10 SB a LOT, but I don't find ER 17 to be worth the price by comparison. It's good bourbon, but it is not special enough to be twice the price. When you can get PVW 15 or ORVW 15 for less money, I can't justify ER 17.

As far as woodiness goes, I didn't find it to be excessive. I found the flavor close enough to ER 10 that I started wondering how old the 10 really is.

Jay
    Saturday night I was downtown
    Working for the FBI
    Sitting in a nest of bad men
    Whisky bottles piling high
    - The Hollies

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

The standard ER 10 SB has been running about 14yo on average. Most of the hand selected ER 10 SB's have added an age statement of 13 to 14yo that I have seen. So that may explain the taste similarity to the 17yo.

Randy