Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

Makers Mark Ambassadors?

I signed up for this when I first started drinking Bourbon. I got a call last week asking me if I would be willing to be part of a "focus" group in a couple weeks. It's 1.5 hours and they pay me $75.00. I am supposed to bring an add or photo or object that symolizes how I feel about Makers, and then they will ask me questions about how I feel about the product?
    Any of you ever done one of these? Any of you Seattle area folks part of this as well?
    Though there are many Bourbons I enjoy more than Makers at this point, I figure I will go ahead and give it a go...might be interesting?
    Todd

Guru
    I would participate gladly. These groups will always listen, they are hired by Maker's to determine what is working and sometimes what they hope will work. Go, be honest and let Mr Samuels know that although we enjoy his product, he has some work to do if he wants us to keep on doing so.

Nothing wrong with that.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Connoisseur
    I have a few thoughts to share with them. I will do my best to sample some of my Makers regularly so that I can be better educated when I go in.
    Just like reading other's tasting notes...when I taste a Bourbon I can "taste" the suggestions that people have given me to add to my own meager taste's. If any of you have good "suggestions" that might help me...offer them up. I will let you all know how it goes...I don't go in until 9/21.
    Todd

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    Todd - I'm a member of the Ambassadors (and in Seattle area). I was not asked or invited. Guess they must know how I really feel about Makers!

I think you should definitely go and let them know they need to make the product taste like it tasted in early 70s again!

Connoisseur
    Hmmmm....I have never had any Makers from the 70's, how has it changed? Give me some more info!!!
    I am curious as to what they will ask? They want me to bring a photo...add...or object that best describes what I think of Makers...I find it smooth, nice flavor...maybe a little dry? Does that make sense? I tend to like the heavier rye bourbons more, the spice...
    Has Makers always aged their Bourbon for the same approx time?
    I will try it side by side with some of my favorites to come up with a better-rounded picture. I guess just because it is not my favorite does not mean they are "missing" their target...I know my father-in-law has drank it for years without wavering.
    Todd

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Yes, how is it now different than in the early 70's? I have been drinking maker's for nearly 20 years, and the most impressive thing I have found in it is how consistent it is. Very good from bottle to bottle. Wow, if it was better in that era, I'm sorry I missed it. What made it better then?

JOE

Disciple
    I too am a member, but I don't think I was invited to the focus group.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

I'm an ambassador....let them know I'm pissed that it isn't 90 proof over here in Australia ******* 86 proof!
    Last edited by jeff; 09-14-2006 at 05:07.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Guru
    To my growing tastes, Maker's tastes younger than the version I tasted in the early 80's. That may be the chief complaint.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by T47
    Hmmmm....I have never had any Makers from the 70's, how has it changed? Give me some more info!!!
    I read a review recently where a gentleman from BourbonEnthusiast.com had an old bottle of MM and a recent one. The conclusion was that today's product is distilled at a higher proof and not aged as long.

When you go in there tell them they could make a tall stack of cash if they came out with a "Maker's Mark Single Barrel 12 year old 105 proof".
    They could name their own price and it would be paid by all.