Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bourbon prices

Connoisseur
    Hirsch 16yo via Binny's from $59 to $69 in the last several weeks. Good thing I bought them over Labor day at the old price.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrispyCritter
    As I understand it, in Michigan the wholesale business is state-controlled, but the retail stores are private - with state-mandated minimum prices.
    That's correct. The minimum prices can be checked here.

Before January, 2005 (I think), the prices were mandated, not minimum, but somebody got to the state legislature and they changed the law. There was no publicity about this law until the day before the vote. When I complained to my state senator, he said that he voted for it because he felt it would be good for the consumer to have competition. I suggested that if he wanted competition, they should remove the price floor, not just the ceiling.

Our best liquor store in town, A&L Wine Castle, advertises that they sell at the state minimum, but you have to watch them. Some of their prices are way over the minimum. I've never had any trouble with them when I pointed this out - they've looked up the price and charged me the minimum, but I don't like this apparent duplicity.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska
    Hirsch 16yo via Binny's from $59 to $69 in the last several weeks. Good thing I bought them over Labor day at the old price.
    Went looking for a couple of these this morning just because they're going to get nothing but rarer, and was prepared to pay the general $75 price tag around here for the gold-foil version. Imagine my surprise when the nearest store in which I'd last seen them had lowered it to $54.99 because they weren't selling. He sold some today.
    Tim

Connoisseur
    Are you reading this Brett...see nobody's buying them...I'd lower the price right away...you're gonna get stuck with them.

Being's you've been sooo good to me I'd even take a few more off your hands!
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Connoisseur
    P.S. Very good find Tim, I'm envious at that price!
    Mark/Nebraska

Bourbon Prices

Michigan used to be a price-controlled state, but recently changed to a "minimum price"-controlled state, meaning you have to charge at least the minimum price set by the state, which incidentally, is the same as the old price which was mandated by the state.

The powers that be claimed this would be good for competition. The powers that be believe we are all idiots.

The current "minimums" (and it seems to me that no one charges more than the minimum for fear they will lose business - so much for the theories of the state) for the bourbons mentioned in the original post are as follows (all 750 ml):

Wild Turkey Rare Breed $32.97
    Wild Turkey 101 $19.97
    OGD 86 proof $13.95
    Jim Beam Black $19.91

I can go a couple hundred miles from where I live in Michigan's U.P., and beat the hell out of these prices in Wisconsin, where they have no controls on prices and true competition. We Yoopers do a lot of "stocking up" when we travel to Green Bay!

Virtuoso
    Interestingly, those prices are pretty well in line with what we'd pay in Illinois (unless something's on sale here). We don't have state-mandated minimums here - but Chicago tends to have rather high prices in general, whether it's real estate, gasoline, or booze.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer
    Okay, I agree with what you are all saying, but it rankles me when others in many other states can buy something for $28, but it costs me $31 and that is raised to $36. Plus, there is no competition, here, so I can't just find another store with better prices. Plus, the selection sucks.

Tim
    I'm kind of new here and I just read this. I had to reply because this struck a chord with me.
    I'm in Louisville and I've found cheaper prices in other states (in WI on a couple varieties) of good bourbons.
    Maybe other places around my state are cheaper, but of most places around Louisville, it's roughly the same.

Kris

Guru

Unhappy

Another "Ouch!" moment.

I went into a little strip mall, privately owned liquor store this morning, just to see what they have and how the prices run. I rarely do this because the prices always shock me, but I wanted to check the current situation.

On the selection front, things are pretty good. They have Blanton's, which I haven't seen in an ABC store in two or three years. They had a few other nice bourbons (I remember Booker's and 1792 Ridgemont Reserve). They have a very nice lineup of single malt scotches and vodkas, and a respectable array of gins.

But, I was even more shocked by the prices than I had expected to be. The Blanton's was $65, Rare Breed was $50. The Balvenie 15-yr old was $100. An ordinary bottle of Beefeater's gin was $30. Everything else was comparably outrageous.

Needless to say, I won't be going back. I will have to live with the ABC's meager offerings and merely very high prices.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Advanced Taster
    With the Politburo (aka the Alabama ABC Board) having complete control and imposing a 56% tax on spirits, Alabama citizens will suffer with poor selection and high prices. You might already know, but you can go to this web site to see the anual report with budget and breakdown of the Folmar-led organization which is run without any funding from the state general fund:

http://www.abcboard.state.al.us/Docu...ort_FY2005.pdf

Of course, demand might be playing a role, and with what I've seen in some of the bourbon bunkers from some of the bloggers on this site, you better drive fast to the store while supplies last.