Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Enthusiast

In search of Rye on L.I.

My name is Mike and my quest to consume as much straight rye as humanly possible has led me here, to you, for assistance. As is the case now in most places, when I inquire at my local liquor stores, I am directed to a few forlorn bottles of Philadelphia, which, as well as not being straight rye, I am absolutely convinced is not meant to be taken internally. There are several stores in my neck of the woods that carry Michter's, one that carries Old Overholt, and one that sold me a bottle of Van Winkle's 13 for $33.

I am surrounded by people who think a glass of cold vodka constitutes a martini, that Coors Light is actually a beer, and that whiskey is gross. Whenever I order an Old Fashioned or a Manhattan, the end result is usually disappointment, sometimes rage.

My shelf currently houses Maker's Mark, Baker's, Bulleit, Knob Creek, Michter's Straight Rye, Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13, Old Overholt and a bottle of Ambassador 25 Scotch that was likely bottled some time before 1958.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: In search of Rye on L.I.

I can't say I know all that much about Long Island, but LeNell's is in Brooklyn (I hope she's still operating).
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast

I have never tried Rye yet. I have seen that green label Beam and wonder. Another guy in here likes Sazerac Rye

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    I can't say I know all that much about Long Island, but LeNell's is in Brooklyn (I hope she's still operating).
    Oh yeah, LeNell is still holding down Fort Red Hook, though the lady herself might be galivanting in exotic locales. How far out on Lange Eylant are ye?

Try to track down a Rittenhouse (just the classic 100 proof with the plain label), and some WT Rye. Haven't tried their Russell's Reserve Rye yet - hard to find anywhere in the city, including Sister Smothers'.

Seems the distilleries are cranking up their production to meet cocktail menu demand, but they still don't like to devote steam time to the "Northerner's Whiskey"...and it's more gummy in the pipes and such.

Sorry 'bout the locals -

Mike, Welcome to the forums!

I would suggest trying to get some Sazerac Jr, Wild Turkey Rye (or even the WT Russell's Reserve Rye if you can find it), or if you're lucky enough to find one, a Thomas H Handy barrel proof rye. The stuff is stellar!
    I haven't had the Rittenhouse 100 (yet), but I can guarantee you it would be voted best value rye across the board on here....

Enjoy the ride....

Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by fogfrog View Post
    I have never tried Rye yet. I have seen that green label Beam and wonder. Another guy in here likes Sazerac Rye
    The green Beam is Beams's Choice, a 5yo charcoal filtered bourbon.
    They Jim Beam Rye is the yellow label.
    Sazerac, plenty of people here like that stuff
    Cheers

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Enthusiast

I'm not far out. Just east of the Nassau-Queens border. I'm definitely salivating over the Rittenhouse and Sazerac. My only problem is finding them. Around here, pickings are slim.

Apprentice

Get thee down to Astor Place Spirits on Lafayette if you're in Manhatta -
    for Ryes, they've got Overholt, Saz Jr, Rittenhouse BIB, Russell's...plus a nice selection of Bourbons to boot - Eagle Rare SB for $19.95 on sale, which was a nice suprise.

Pay off the bookies first, or you'll be holding the good glass with a few less fingers, as you'd have spent your ransom down here...!

Enthusiast

As a fellow LI'er, Welcome. Try Post liquors in Syosset. They have the best rye selection around. I know of a couple other great spots.
    Joe

Enthusiast

I am eternally grateful.
    We set out as men of reason, armed with Navy Colts.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I saw today that there is a plan afoot to build a 16-mile tunnel under the sound starting in Oyster Bay. What's that have to do with this thread? The tunnel's terminus will be Rye, New York. So you might not be able to find more rye on Long Island, but you will be able to get to Rye from Long Island.