Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur
    When I first started drinking hard liquor for enjoyment not debauchery, I took my bourbon on the rocks. Now, I drink it neat 95% of the time, every once in a while I'll drop a drop or two in some Pappy 15. I feel that for pure enjoyment neat really is the way to go, because with a very small sip you can savor a variety of flavors and aromas that are masked when too cold or muddled with ice. Try it drinking neat, especially when tasting new bourbons. If you don't like it, switch, there's nothing wrong with that, but give it a shot. I thik you'll find it enjoyable.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    Maybe it will be PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) and you will feel so manly you won't be able to stand it.
    Hey now. Why do you have to be like that Chuck? What's wrong with a PBR every once-in-a-while?

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashPuppy
    Hey now. Why do you have to be like that Chuck? What's wrong with a PBR every once-in-a-while?
    For me it's the ulcers.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashPuppy
    You misread me. I meant that statement as entirely positive. Without question, sometimes a PBR is just the thing.

My personal choice for a good American macro-brew is Old Style.

Connoisseur
    Chuck-
    I think that I left out a few well placed smilies for emotion. I will include them here instead -

I haven't seen Old Style in years. Damn. Now I gotta find some. Thanks.
    Last edited by FlashPuppy; 09-20-2006 at 08:46.

Disciple
    I guess I’m the odd one. I do prefer it neat or with water in first hand depending on brand and in second hand on proof. Ideal temperature for me is very slightly over normal room temperature with can be accomplish by a warm day/ warming the glass in the hand or drinking from a pocket flask. However if it gets to warm I think it gets more or less undrinkable.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Enthusiast
    It depends on my mood. Sometimes I prefer on the rocks, sometimes neat. During this summer, I prepared mint julep a few times.

But when it comes to a bourbon that I'll try for the first time, I take it neat at first.

Guru

Thumbs up

Maybe it will be PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) and you will feel so manly you won't be able to stand it.
    LOL!

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast
    On the rocks always. I also do not drink Coke out of a can, even if it is cold, I like ice. I have always been that way, and it carries over to my Bourbon.

Connoisseur
    My personal choice for a good American macro-brew is Old Style.
    Old Style ROCKS! I haven't had one of those in about 20 years. And does anyone else remember Weidemann Beer?

I drink my bourbon almost exclusively on the rocks these days. I used to drink it neat, and I think the flavors are more prominent that way, but I started to have stomach problems which I learned I can avoid if I drink it on the rocks.