Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to buy in Kentucky?

My parents will soon be my "mule" when they pass throught Kentucky; anyone have any suggestions on what to get that can't be purchased outside Kentucky? thanks.

Four Roses -- both Single Barrel and Small Batch -- Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 10yo Bottled in Bond, Ancient Ancient Age 10 year old (NOT 10 Star).
    Others might suggest Very Old Barton 90 proof or BIB (or 100 proof), which is distributed a bit more widely. Buffalo Trace is in the same category, and certainly worthy if it's not available in your area.
    Tim

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    --Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 10yo Bottled in Bond, .
    Hey Tim,.... I got a bottle of the Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 10 yo BIB. I have not tried it yet, I also have the same in the 6yo BIB release, and it is very hot. I did not like it.
    Is the 10yo really that good?
    Have you had the 6yo?

Oscar

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Oscar and Todd, if I may, I'll sneak in here with my opinion of the VROHH 10Yr. I think it's awesome. It is one of my favorite pours--at any price. And, that price is $11ish. It's probably one of the 8 bourbons in my Top 5! Todd, I don't know where you're from, but if the Rittenhouse Rye BIB is not available in your neck of the woods, and you haven't tried it, then I'd highly recommend this one too. I saw it at several places in Kentucky last week at the Festival. Drink up!!

JOE

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV
    Hey Tim,.... I got a bottle of the Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 10 yo BIB. I have not tried it yet, I also have the same in the 6yo BIB release, and it is very hot. I did not like it.
    Is the 10yo really that good?
    Have you had the 6yo?

Oscar
    I like the 6yo okay, but the 10yo is much better.
    Tim

Connoisseur
    I'm going to have to chime in on the VROHH 10yo too. So far my favorite buy while in Kentucky. The AAA 10yo is a very close 2nd.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Guru
    I would (and did) buy Rock Hill Farms.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur
    I'd second the Four Roses. I have been dying to try it, but can't get it. Pick it up while you can.

Guru
    OK, Tim, Joe and Mark, when I am finised with the 3 I have opened, (I don't like to have more than 3 opened at the same time), my VROHH 10yoBIB will be the next one I open.
    But like I said the 6yo was to hot for me.

The hell with it, it is Saturday and that is reason enough, I'm going for the 10yo this afternoon.
    Details later.

Advanced Taster

What to buy in kentucky

At the KBF, last week I stocked up on Four Roses Single Barrel and Small Batch, AAA 10yr, got a few bottles of Barton BIB, ETL, Buffalo Trace, and intended to buy heavy on the VROHH 10 but Toddy's was sold out by early Saturday am. Guthrie said he had a good stock of this item, but I guess the word is out on this bargain.
    "Abstainer: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure."
    Ambrose Bierce