Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

DSP Code Numbers

I have searched for this information, but have not been able to get a good list of the different Distilled Spirits Plant code numbers. Since I'm still learning, this would be useful to me for identification purposes of vintage bottled in bond bourbons I may come upon as to the quality of the contents which may be inside the bottle. I've been able to cull titbits of info from searching out past posts...DSP KY 16 = Stitzel Weller, but a complete list would be helpful.

Anyone have a list they could share?
    "Now it is time for that mellow moment"

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012
    Send me a PM with your address. I'll send you the UPC code info....but some of the historical info.....you have to learn for it to be useful.

The DSP info, I suggest you buy the book by Sam Cecil.

Dawn

Taster
    Dawn...I have the UPC list and understand the importance of having the right UPC match on certain brands which may have changed ownership during the last 20 years or so. The 88076 Louisville Charters and Old Fitzgeralds come to mind. I have gained some knowledge of bourbon history for some of the brands I love, but have much to learn in the world of bourbon.

The reason I asked about the DSP KY Codes, is that they are referred to often in posts, but I was unable through searches to really pull up any comprehensive list of Distilled Spirits Plants on this site, or even on Goggle. I would have thought this would have been in archives already.

How many bourbon plants in KY can there be?
    "Now it is time for that mellow moment"

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Barton-12
    Makers Mark-44
    Bernheim(HH)-1
    Heaven Hill-31(bottling only now, but there is still some stock from there)
    SW-16(Dead)
    Woodford-52
    Buffalo Trace-113
    Wild Turkey-67
    Four Roses-8
    Early Times-414
    Willett-78(in process of recommissioning)
    Beam-230/14(latter is now bottling only)

I think this is correct, but someone feel free to correct me if not
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    No. 354 is written on the back of the recent Rittenhouse BIB, is that not Early Times?

Gary

Cecils book lists 354 as the Old Kentucky Distillery and also as the Early Times Plant, but lists Old Forester as a separate plant 414? I thought these were one and the same plant???Hmmm...also ran across another number for Labrot and Graham-82.

I was cross referencing the ttbonline database with Cecils book. Problem is sometimes distilleries operate under (or they used to) different numbers for different products. There are old stories of going out and hanging a different sign on the stillhouse depending on what you were distilling.

It's all so confusing!

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by barturtle
    Cecils book lists 354 as the Old Kentucky Distillery and also as the Early Times Plant, but lists Old Forester as a separate plant 414? I thought these were one and the same plant???
    My personal key for the great Old Forester BIB is if it was from DSP 414 (Louisville), not DSP 354 "Early Times" (Shively). I believe that since the mid-to-late '80s all distillation has been at DSP 354. I've read that the rickhouses are still in use at 414, and that the still was brought down to distill Forester white dog in Shively. Tim, I bet you've been past each of these places any number of times.

There was a distillery tour report of 354 on the other forum recently that was very interesting.

Roger
    Last edited by Rughi; 09-20-2006 at 21:08.

354 it is, then.

Actually I only end up in that area of Louisville if I'm lost and I try not to get lost by not going in that part of town. But yes I have driven by once or twice

I'm no Pappyophile

Boy, you guys sure make it hard to keep things to oneself around here -- pretty soon you'll know everything I know (and it won't be that big a deal for you, but it leaves me with little to contribute ).
    Anyway, the following list is far from comprehensive, and may well contain errors. However, for the most part, it is compiled from bottles I've actually seen, held, drunk, et al, and from which I thus was able to copy the info directly.

Bourbon DSPs.pdf
    Tim

Connoisseur
    Thanks Tim/Timothy, ...very useful lists
    Dave G.