Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: DSP Code Numbers

Thanks Chuck for the info. So, if I'm not mistaken, that would mean that the rye in my bottle was distilled by Heaven Hill in their still # 31 before it was burned in 1996. Interesting, I suppose that's the lone bottle I have that has that provence. Tom V

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

As I said, the answer is maybe. I'm also told that some DSP 354 bottles were "accidentally mislabeled" with the DSP 31 labels. However, that also means that there were actual DSP 31 bottles made, and we all know how long stock can remain in the distribution pipeline.

However, if one had to place a bet, I would think it slightly more likely that what you have is a mislabeled DSP 354 and not an actual DSP 31.

Advanced Taster

The bottle does have the look of one that's been around awhile and it was a lone soldier on the shelf , don't know if that might mean something?
    I guess the only thing to do is to get my hands on a bottle numbered 354 and taste them side by side. Not only would that be fun, but now I have another bourbon quest to pursue! Tom V

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tmas View Post
    Thanks Chuck for the info. So, if I'm not mistaken, that would mean that the rye in my bottle was distilled by Heaven Hill in their still # 31 before it was burned in 1996. Interesting, I suppose that's the lone bottle I have that has that provence. Tom V
    Check the bottom of the bottle for the "date"...This is real accurate. HH practically loads glass from the truck. This will help determine where that particular rye was made. Before the fire (Nov. 96) all rye and bourbon was made at DSP #31 Heaven Hill...

The story behind the labeling issue. Roger (Rughi) noted his "missing" labels...and then noted on another bottle (100 pr.) DSP#31...the bottle date (on the bottom) was after the fire. The rye is 6 years old (100 proof) and the bottle date stated 2005 (?) Impossible to be made at DSP 31.

Missing labels will occur...Especailly, when your's running 200 bpm and the label machine decides to throw some paper Girls and guys sceaming "BACKS!!!!!!!!! OR FRONTS!!!!!!!!! To get the operator's attention real quick...

At times a bottle will get by without a back or collar or sometimes even a front. It's happens.

I went to management and pointed this out...They were still using the DSP back and quickly made up new back labels with the correct DSP #...Same stuff but made elsewhere, by Parker and Craig.

Bettye Jo
    Last edited by boone; 02-08-2007 at 13:00.

Advanced Taster

Thanks for the amusing insiders backround info!

Bettye Jo, these are the numbers on the bottle bottom. They either need interpreting or are themselves incorrect because they don't make sense as is. They are 03 11 044 and then 5 0323. Any relevance to those #'s? Tom V
    Last edited by tmas; 02-08-2007 at 14:03.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I was going back through this thread to see if there was a comprehensive national list of DSP numbers. There are a number of lists compiled by SB-ers from information they have, but nothing that seems taken from any publicly available list. Does this suggest that no such list is available? Reason I ask is, the lists do not seem to include microdistilleries, yet I would think they must have DSP numbers too. If this information was available it might help to identify better some of the new operations, some of which make whisky, and some of which are starting to make bourbon and rye and other kinds of non-barley malt whiskey.

Gary

Unfortunately, a DSP number simply indicates a "producer." A producer might be a distiller, or a rectifier, or a bottler, or an importer, or some combination of the above, but you can have a DSP number without having a still.

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tmas View Post
    Thanks for the amusing insiders backround info!

Bettye Jo, these are the numbers on the bottle bottom. They either need interpreting or are themselves incorrect because they don't make sense as is. They are 03 11 044 and then 5 0323. Any relevance to those #'s? Tom V

The "03" is the year..."2003"

Bettye Jo

I found an Excel spreadsheet on the TTB web site. Scroll down to "FAA Permit Listings" and click on "Distilled Spirits Producers and Bottlers."

It appears to be a comprehensive list. Unfortunately, it merely lists the DSP number and provides a name and address. It gives no information about the producer's activities. I was hoping for at least a date as to when the DSP was granted, but no such luck.

Anyway, this should be definitive in terms of what companies or individuals own what DSPs at present. As I mention above, a producer can be a distiller, a rectifier, a bottler, an importer, or some combination thereof. Having a DSP number mainly authorizes you to buy spirits, in bulk or already packaged, and authorizes you to sell them to wholesalers, and gives licensed wholesalers clearance to buy from you.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

That's interesting though, thanks.

Gary