Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Novice

Locating specific bourbons

Hi guys. I've been kind of lurking and learning from this forum for a while, as an avid bourbon drinker. Today I was looking for some suggestions for something new to try apart from my usual Elijah Craig 12yo and saw people recommending Evan Williams Single Barrel. After looking at a several stores near my home, I was unable to locate any and settled for the white label instead. So my question is two-fold.

First, does anyone know of a web site that might tell where to find a specific drink in a specific area? Second, how is the white label compared to the single barrel? I've been sort of un-wowed by the white label so far.

Quote Originally Posted by bluntman
    ...First, does anyone know of a web site that might tell where to find a specific drink in a specific area?..
    Not to my knowledge. The best I've been able to do is use the yellow pages online to find liquor stores for a specific area, then either use the telephone or visit directly to ascertain stock.

...Second, how is the white label compared to the single barrel?..
    It doesn't. The Single Barrel is 9-10 years old, while the white label is likely four. White's proof is lower. It's selected to a different taste profile (and the SB is varied slightly each year, besides) -- which means it's aged in a different warehouse, different floor, inside or outside, et al, or any combination thereof.
    About the greatest similarity between the two is that they are made from the same mashbill -- because ALL of Heaven Hill's rye-recipe bourbons are made from the same mashbill.
    Tim

Connoisseur
    If you post what area you live in, perhaps some folks can give you some good suggestions.

White Label Evan Williams? Must be something not available in my area, is it the 1783 by any chance? Or something different I've never heard of...

I'd have to say if you read enough here, this site is the best resource for "where to find 'that' bourbon" for example I just saw tonite that Bevmo is listing Old Rip Van Winkle 15 year in stock for the first time in a very long time; Yeah I know this is actually Pappy 15 and not Old Rip, but nonetheless good info and good to see as Pappy in and of itself is pretty damn hard to find around here... They are also offering a $25 gift card with an online purchase of $150, that's essentially like getting 16.6% off because you know that card is just going to go towards buying more bourbon (or tequila). I can already see where my overtime hours are going, more bourbon to put in storage until I find a nice home to live since the move to Seal Beach fell through and for now I am crashing in Huntington Beach.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Novice
    @anyone who wants to make suggestions for a liquor store: I live around Birmingham, AL, USA.

@Virus_Of_Life: It seems to be called Evan Williams White Label as described on this page. Unfortunately, there isn't much more information there.

Connoisseur
    The EW white label is indeed depicted in Jim Murray´s bourbon book. There are no tasting notes, though.

I have never seen this whiskey anywhere and it could possibly also be the first time I hear someone discussing it. Could it be available only in certain areas of the US?
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Guru
    Sorry Tim but the white label I have is the BIB which is 100 proof and therefore higher than EWSB's 86.6 proof. I think 4 yrs is correct though.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bluntman
    @anyone who wants to make suggestions for a liquor store: I live around Birmingham, AL, USA.

@Virus_Of_Life: It seems to be called Evan Williams White Label as described on this page. Unfortunately, there isn't much more information there.
    Welcome, Bluntman. You've got your work cut out for you in finding many bourbons in B'ham, or all of Alabama for that matter. Just ask Tim ("Ratcheer" on this site) about that. Your fine state has a lot going for it (Tide and War Eagles, RTJ Golf Trail, etc) but you get the shaft on bourbon selection in the ABC stores! I'd recommend making a road trip to Atlanta and stocking up! Can't get some offerings, but you'll certainly find more than in B'ham, including EWSB. Or if you're really adventurous, head North to Tennessee. If Kentucky is bourbon nirvana, than Tennessee is just outside the gate.

JOE

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Well looks like Alabama has a pretty crap listing of liquor. But there is some info there about importing that may come in handy.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Some of the best things I know of that you can get in the AL ABC stores include:

Wild Turkey Rare Breed and WT 101-proof
    Knob Creek
    Jim Beam Black Label
    1792 Ridgemont Reserve (I don't care for it, but many do)
    Old Forester Signature

You'll find the shopping better if you travel to Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, or Mississippi. Maybe Florida, but I haven't tried that, yet.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur